Chapter One

You are cordially invited
To
The wedding of

Dhristhi Kapadia

&

Raunak Mehta

   Khushi stared at the card for a long time. She knew that Dhruv had a sister but she hadn't known that she was grown now and getting married. And also, was unaware that her brother and Kushi were separated.

     She didn't know how to politely decline without raising suspicions or questions. She needed to discuss this with Dhruv to know how they can proceed. The last they had talked, he had told her that she had wrecked him and true enough, she had.

    But she could feel nothing. It had been that way for months. It was as if her heart had frozen. She felt nothing anymore. She just worked and then she slept and then there was work again. She had lived that way for months. She lived in the hospital dorms now and that's why she was surprised when Dee dropped her card at the reception.

       She changed out of her scrubs and changed into a t-shirt and jeans and drove to Dee's house. It was Sakshi's mansion but they all lived together anyway.

       An unknown man opened the door and she was shown inside.

     "Dee?" She called entering the house.

       "Khushi? It's been so long!" It was her brother-in-law, Veer.

         "Veer jiju! How are you?" She faked a smile and went to hug him.

    He hugged her back and put an arm around her shoulder and directed her towards the garden. "I'm fine kiddo. How are you? How's work?"

     "Work is hectic." She spoke.

     They reached outside the house and the family was outside. They seemed to be sitting around the garden table.

     "Khushi!" They all had stood up to greet her and she waved. She settled in one of the chairs.

     Siddharth had stood up and asked, "Coffee?" She shook her head in negative. "Do you have any chai?"

     "Yes. We do." That was Sakshi.

     She sipped her tea from her cup. She didn't like tea but she couldn't bear to drink coffee anymore. It always brought back memories and she was better off with them.

       That was when her sister has come with a plate of samosas. "Oh Khushi! You're here!"

    She hugged her sister and they all settled down. "But who was that man that opened the door? I was so surprised to see him."

    "Oh since the pandemic is almost over, we hired the staff back."

     "Ohhh." Khushi nodded.

    "Why are you here then?" Janvi asked.

    Veer held her hand, "Honey..."

     She knew dee was mad at her  since she had confessed to the cheating. She expected it to strong but it didn't anymore. She expected it. She had virtually ignored the whole group for the past months. She was legally divorced Dhruv and she had disappeared off the face of Earth.