Chapter Six

Khushi had a banging headache and the morning was too bright for her convenience. But she still pushed through and pushed down her breakfast,  even though she thought she might puke anytime soon. The discipline had been beat down in her by med school.

          Dhruv was sitting in front of her and even though she was the one who had a hangover, Dhruv looked the part. His hair was sticking out in all directions and his eyes were swollen. The chatter of the buffet hall was around them but they sat in silence.

       She felt guilty. She poked the idli around her plate and then ate it after her stomach settled down. As a unsaid rule, they didn't talk in the early hours of the morning. They preferred breaking fast in silence and then slowly Dhruv would get lighter and lighter  as the day passed.

      Khushi set down her fork and then looked at Dhruv, "Thanks for taking care of me yesterday."

        He only nodded at her without lifting his head. She knew she must've done something embarassing last night. She always did. Dhruv would tease her all about it the next morning when they were married.

    Kushi would get overly emotional when she indulged, she had been informed. Dhruv had once told her that she had clung to his leg and cried and cried about how much he meant to her. He couldn't control his laughter as he regaled the tale. She denied it ofcourse. But he never took it as true.

         She was curious as to what  embarassing things she had done last night. But before she could say anything, Dhristhi dropped by their table.

        "Good morning!" She beamed and Khushi noticed how much similar Dhristhi was to Dhruv. He smiled at her and stood up and hugged her tightly.

   "Dishuuu..." He mussed her hair, letting go of his sister.

    Dhristhi tugged his hair and said something and he laughed. She was mesmerised. His laugh boomed around the room as he threw back his head. Oh god, she had almost forgotten that dimple he had on his cheeks.

           "Bhabhi, how are you?" Dhristhi addressed her. She jerked away from ogling at him and looked at Dhristhi. "I'm doing fine." She gave a smile. "Bhabhi, you both are performing in the sangeet, right?"

       "We're what?" Dhruv asked.

      "It was in the itinerary. Don't tell me you're not, Bhai."

           "Ofcourse we'll try. Stop worrying now. You know your brother can't deny you a thing." Khushi nudged in and gave Dhruv a look that told him to play on.

      He nodded and then looked at his sister with a sunny smile. "Fine. I'll come but this is somehow turning into the most ridiculous wedding ever."

        To that Drishti only playfully hit his arm while he laughed. Dhruv left the table after Dhrishti left to take a shower and change. Khushi stayed back and when she sat down again, she saw the breakfast cupcake winking at her from his plate.

      She didn't know if he had left it there deliberately but she didn't hesitate to take a bite out of it, she closed her eyes back and savoured the taste of the chocolate frosting along with the moist cake. She opened her eyes and dropped the cupcake onto her plate, guilty and red handed.

     ***

          Dhruv had a secret. While Khushi thought he didn't like sweets, he did. He had a sweet tooth. Infact, he had a mini fridge dedicated in his office for chocolates and the like.

    But he always offered Khushi his dessert and while she, an absolute innocent Angel thought that it was because he didn't like sweets, she didn't know the devil that he was, he liked watching her eat desserts.