Chapter Eleven

They stayed silent staring into each other's eyes for a moment. That moment felt like decades to Dhruv. He knew she wasn't lying, she was ready to burn him, infact, reduced him to ashes already. He wasn't a human, but ashes destroyed by her words.

For a moment he doubted the authenticity of her claims. A child. His child. Lost. And he wasn't there. She had been all alone.

Logic screamed to ask her to take it back. But he knew, that would be useless. That won't change the truth, which she had hidden from him, he couldn't muster anger for her lies anymore, because he knew she had done it for his sake, to save him from the pyres of hell.

Dhruv knew it from the way her finger; which was pushed into his chest, right where his heart was, shook. It shook like his foundations had, now he was rubble. A lone tear escaped his eye; one which mirrored hers.

She turned and left and shut the door behind her.

Immediately Janvi came in and asked him what had happened. His fortress crumbled and she was in his line of anger.

"I asked you! No. I begged you! I begged you to take care of her when I left for UAE. How could you just stand here and face me when you couldn't even do that?!"

"What happened?"

"Khushi had a miscarriage and she was all alone when it happened. That's what happened!" He yelled.

"What? I didn't know."

"None of you picked the phone."

"I didn't even know she called...God! Do you think I would've purposely not picked up, Dhruv?!"

"I don't know. All I know is that she was all alone."

***

Khushi went to the terrace and gasped for breath. She was ashamed that she had told him. She knew he would now blame himself and she only added on to his burden.

A hand pressed on her shoulder and through her blurry tears she saw the image of her brother-in-law, Veer. She sighed and looked away from him. He held her shoulders and she cried, words sputtered out of her mouth.

"Oh kiddo..." He said after listening to her patiently.

"I'm so sorry no one picked up. I'm sorry." He said rubbing her back soothingly.

Kushi only sniffed, "I'm not mad at that...I just, I am mad at myself..."

"Oh no...why?"

She took two gasping breaths and held on to his shirt tighter, "It's my fault, jiju. Because I...I didn't want it...the first thing I thought was, this is a bad time...and It's my fault! I killed it!"

"Khushi.... that's so not true." He pulled away only to hold her shoulders and she buried her face in her hands, sobbing.

***

They had come home with his dad and his sister, Dhrishti. He parked the car while his sister got down from the backseat with the help of his father.

Meanwhile, he opened the trunk and Khushi was already getting the bags out of the trunk. Dhruv knew she only came because Dhrishti insisted and Dishu wanted to stay at Dhruv's place with both of them.

He grabbed the bags from her hand and she went on to help his sister when he rushed to call the lift. As the lift arrived, they all stood in dead silence and he opened the door as Dhristhi came in the flat.

Dhruv prepared coffee while Khushi helped him with the mugs. It rankled his insides how much of a perfect machine like couple they were.

After the everyone had had their coffees, his dad got up groaning and said his byes to Dhrishti.