Chapter Nine

Since there was nothing to do except sit on the uncomfortable cold chair of the police station, she thought back on how she had largely messed up her life.

It was just any other normal day in college when her phone vibrated in the middle of class. Dhruv told her that he had come to pick her up. He looked so out of place inside the campus, he was every man's better. Her heart swelled with pride that he was hers. He waved at her once he spotted her and she ran towards him, he obviously opened his arms and caught her with an uff escaping his lips.

"Hey." She smiled at him giddily.

"Hi." His smile curved his lips.

"How come you're here?"

"I've come to take you to Mumbai."

She pried away from him, "Why? Is something wrong?"

"No. My sweetheart. Nothing is wrong but we are needed in Mumbai. It's the weekend anyway."

***

Everything was wrong. While she was happy about the spotaneous trip to Mumbai, she noticed that Dhruv wasn't chatty, he was in a serious mood. It made her more anxious and she chatted away the whole trip while he responded with hmms and smiles.

Then when he got her a taxi, she asked why they were going towards the hospital. Ofcourse, she thought of the worst. She yelled and screamed and he just calmly held her hand as she burst into frustrated tears.

She remembered that it was a rainy day. She was soaked the moment she got out of the taxi and as soon as she entered the hospital, she was engulfed in her sister's arms who seemed inconsolable herself.

Kushi felt dread filling her stomach like lead as she shoved her sister away and rushed to the room her mom had been. It was empty. She patted the sheets.

"WHERE IS SHE?!" She screamed at the small crowd of familiar faces gathered inside the room. There was Dhruv, Veer Jiju, Janvi. That was all it took for her sisters to burst out crying into jiju's arms.

She tried to rush out of the room when Dhruv held her tightly against his chest. "Let me go?! Where is mom?!"

She had clawed his arms off and thrashed against him but he held her steadfast. Khushi knew that her mother had passed away. But she couldn't just accept it. Finally she burst out in wails and slumped, her legs giving away. She slid to the ground and Dhruv cupped his head and she pushed her head into his shoulder and wept.

After she calmed down, that was when her sister came to her,

"You have to understand, Khushi. She was suffering multiple organ failure, she was in pain, we had to sign."

She pushed away from the chair, "You had to do nothing! Nothing at all! You could've called me! Waited for me! Who are you even to sign?" She laughed raw and scratchy, "Mom was my responsibility all these years and you just came here to just sign off?!"

Her sister looked at her with sad eyes. "There was no time. And we didn't want to stress you out.Dhruv told us that you had an exam yesterday."

"So it was your advice then?!" Khushi spat out at Dhruv. He tried to move closer to her but she shoved his hands away, "Khushi...there was nothing we could do. It was time..."

"She could've woken up! If only you had called me. Mom would've been alive! She would've woken up! But instead all of you conspired to let her die!"

"Mom didn't wake up for 15 years! What makes you think she would've woken up now?! All you did all these years is drain Dhruv's money to keep her barely alive." Janvi yelled at her.