Chapter Five

Khushi was having her breakfast when the wails carried over to where she was. She entered the bedroom to see Rian wiggling and his tiny face scrunches up.  She looked at the washroom door, the shower was on, she could hear it. The baby kept wailing and Khushi froze in place. She bent to pick him up but couldn't will herself to pick him.

     She twisted her fingers across her palm and looked at the baby helplessly.

      "For God's sake! Khushi!" Kushi jumped as he yelled and picked the baby up soothing him.

       "What is wrong with you?! He could've suffocated himself from crying!"

         All she could do was dumbly stare at him. She opened her mouth to explain but nothing came out except puffs of air. 

       "Leave it Khushi." He waved his free hand agitated and then said with his finger pointed to her,

  "But I'm just going to say it straight out, if you have problems with me then deal with me, don't take it out on my son. He's just a baby. Now, please leave us alone."

         ***

        Khushi was eventually tired of waiting for him so that she could apologise. And she was hungry too. She went out on search of him and also grab a bite.

        She went down the restaurant and it was like a dagger had plunged into her chest. There he was, with the baby on his lap and beside him there was Shri and then there was Nats in front of them with her back facing Kushi.

      Her stomach crumpled when Shri had her spoon lifted and he leaned down to take a bite. Kushi wanted to scream. She wanted to scream and fall apart so that everyone could witness her wounds.

    Her wounds were vulnerable but she was so alone with them. The truth about their arrangement banged against her her tender heart. They were divorced, she remembered. He was a free man to pursue any woman he wanted. That was another bitter truth. Yet it didn't make the hurt any less.

      She turned back and decided to leave instead of standing there bearing witness to the making of a perfect family.

    ***

         "Where to?" Dhruv asked.

       "To the bachelorette party. Drishti invited me."

       He should be angry. He had been. He couldn't fathom why she just stood there while Roam screamed his lungs out.

         "You guys are going somewhere?"

         "Nah. We're just going to be at the bar."  She said and the door was shut when she left.

      He should be cool. He should be relaxed. Dhruv looked at Rian and then he sighed.

     "Rian, it doesn't matter, right?"

         Rian only chewed on his fingers agressively.

        "But that dress was awfully short. So short. I mean, we men aren't supposed to police women's clothing but what do you think?"

      Rian cooed at that. "You're so right. I should definitely go."

        Dhruv felt agitated. He didn't know why. He changed Rian and dropped him off with Nats.

            To not make it obvious, he went to the restaurant on the second floor. There he saw a familiar face.

       "Oh hey. Tasha."