Chapter Seven

Dhruv kissed her back.

He was only a man, a mere mortal, and even if he was a god, he knew, he could never resist her. He deepend the kiss, holding her waist. She tugged his collar downwards and he drowned in her. He was getting breathless but he was afraid of coming up for air, scared that it would end.

If he could die in this moment he would, his eternal memory in her arms seemed tempting. But then again he was mortal and he gasped breaking off for air. Their foreheads pressed together and breaths lashed in the space between, he didn't open his eyes, incase hers were pools of regret.

But he could feel her lips again and he was a lost cause yet again. His legs pushed forward until her waist hit the counter and he gripped her waist and picked her up, settling her on the counter.

Her hands wound around his shoulders and her legs around him as he pushed closer towards her. It was too harsh, the visceral need to destroy whatever distance was between them was too strong to resist.

Dhruv got bolder, he moved his hands under her t-shirt desperate to feel her skin, he was curious to know whether she burned like him and as he traced her ribs closer to the band of her bra, he was pushed away.

***

"No!"

Khushi herself was shocked that she had shoved him away but subconsciously maybe she had. She felt humiliation wash over her as she realised that she had give into her basic impulses. But then, it had been months since she had felt any.

She finally looked at him who looked as shocked as her. "I'm sorry." She muttered.

He looked at her with an absent look in his eyes. "I don't need your apology."

He said it in the softest tone but it felt as if she had been slapped. Her eyes had started to burn with tears as she got down from the counter.

"I know you don't need it. But I started it and it was unfair to you." She tried again. But he only looked at her with sharp eyes. He was angry, that she knew. The boyish charm, his eyes held was gone and instead, it was replaced with cool steel. Still, she persisted, "I'm sorry."

"Khushi, let's not talk now." He took steps back with his hands, half raised.

"Dhruv..." She said, with nothing to say further. She had hurt him, she knew that.

He only snapped his eyes to hers and this time she knew, that his anger was unrestrained.

"I don't need an apology. I'm not mad that you started it or stopped it. I cannot understand the knee jerk reactions. I need an explanation. There are far too many instances that don't make sense. Is there even an explanation for this one?" His voice was mellow but it shook in anger.

"There is."

"But you won't tell me what it is. Right." He stated and she said nothing except stare at him.

"Khushi..." His voice was laced in frustration. "God...Khushi...tell me why can't I have an explanation then? Tell me that much. Do you not trust me to understand? Is that it?"

That was exactly why she didn't want to tell him. Ultimately he would blame himself, he would be compassionate and divinely empathetic and forgive. But that was the issue, she was the problem, not him. She was the one who was broken. Not him. And she had realised, that no matter how many times she put herself together she'd still remain broken, while he deserved better.

"That's not it."

"So that's all you'll say then?" His voice was defeated and his eyes now flashed a darkness which reflected her own darkness within.