Chapter Thirty One

Dhruv and Riyan stayed until dinner. Then after they had left it was her and Nats. Nats gathered her inside and they sat in the living room.

    "You know he loves you and it was spur of the moment." Khushi approached the topic.

      "I know. I've forgiven him already. I'm more upset about him turning you out."

      Khushi sat comfortably, crossing her legs. "You don't have to –"

    "I don't have to but I do because you're family. Did you not talk on my behalf to Dhruv? That's what family does.... We're there to carry each other's burden."

    Khushi smiled at Nats' passionate speech. "Why didn't you marry? I mean... don't mind me asking..."

    "Oh not at all...I didn't marry because I liked being independent and you don't need to marry to love someone..." Nats stared at the fireplace and cast a far away look.

    "And I guess...I was scared of bring hurt. I was hurt once, and somehow this intangible wound pained me whenever I tried to commit to marriage...it was a pretty cowardly stance, don't you think?"

     Nats looked at her but she looked away. She had been cowardly too. But admitting it was difficult even now, even with Nats.

    "If I was still as young as you, I would've remedied it."

     "I'm 30." She said simply.

     "30 is plenty young, beta. Considering how the first 10 years you were a child and the next 10, mostly a teenager. You're just now becoming a person." Nats said groaning and she stood up and patted on her head.

     "Just grab it by the balls before it's too late!" She called out and Khushi burst out laughing.

      ***

        Dhruv was driving back to his apartment when Janvi called him. Riyan was sleeping in the back seat, in his baby seat.

       "I've found her!"

       "That was quick?"

       "I'd say thank you for my razor sharp intelligence and deduction skills!"

        "Was it the call records?" He rolled his eyes.

        "Whatever. Anyways, you wanna know who was hiding her until now?"

       "Don't tell me it was –"

       "It was Neeta."

       "Fuck! Fuck!" He park the car along the curb and put the phone to his ear. "What the fuck?!"

      "I know....I was shocked too. And not only that, she was the one who told her to hit Riyan like that..."

       He gripped the phone tighter and punched his thigh. "She did what?! I cannot believe this. How could a mother do that to her own child?"

         "I know. I'm angry too. I can't imagine doing that to Asha or Usha."

        "I am going to drag her to hell in the courts this week!" He hissed.

       "Alright. Alright. I'm handing her over to the police. They'll get a written confession and you should talk about this with your lawyer."

      "Fine, will do. Thank you Janvi."

   "Hmm...did you talk to Veer?"

     "I had a busy day today but I promise I'll talk to him first in the morning tomorrow."