Chapter Thirty Two

"Did you know Dhruv is gay?"

        Khushi stopped in her tracks. She was jogging, when Veer Jiju had called her. She fixed her ear buds and took deep breaths to cool off her body.

         "I'm sorry, I didn't hear it properly, what did you just say jiju?"

         "You heard correctly, kiddo. Dhruv told us he was gay, yesterday?"

      She swiped her wrist band over her forehead. "Dhruv told you? Wait wait...us who?"

        "Viren was there with me and he heard it too. Guess this is why you and him didn't work out."

           Khushi knew that couldn't be true, they had had sex just a frew days back, for God's sake and the way that he kissed her, a couple of days back suggested otherwise. She shivered even now, thinking about how he had sucked her bottom lip, and his tongue – She fanned her face, trying to focus.

        "He told you he was gay?" She said in a disbelieving tone.

        "Yes!"

      She sighed and say on a nearby bench. "Jiju, I cannot believe this. Can you tell me word to word what he told you that made you believe he was gay?"

      She heard Veer groan, "Fine. He said, ‘I get the hots for both men and women’"

         "That's not gay!" She cried out. A passed by elderly couple gave her some looks. She lowered her tone and whispered harshly, "That just means he's bisexual!"

       "It's the same thing!"

        "No! It's not!" Khushi defended Dhruv. Even though this was relatively new information, she could feel herself getting irritated. And she had never gotten irritated at Veer. Veer was like her brother, her protector and yet, ugly acidic feelings erupted from inside her.

       "That's not the point. You didn't know, did you? And honestly, long back we all did suspect, because he was always kinda –"

        "He's kinda what!" She snapped at Veer.

        "You know what I mean…"

      "No! I don't! I don't care if he's bisexual! But I don't like you talking about him in this manner! I expected better from you jiju!" She ranted and didn't stop even though she was full on yelling now,

     "Did you expect me to agree with you that he's always been effeminate?! I cannot believe! YOU would say this! You literally cook for a living! Not only that this division of labour according to gender is such bullshit that I can't even–"

      "Kiddo..."

     She stood up, "NO JIJU! I'm not finished yet! And me and Dhruv didn't work out is because of me! Only me! He tried! He tried to keep us together! I'm the one with the issues, jiju! He left because of me! Because I had cancer! And hid it from him! I sabotaged out marriage. Not him, jiju. Not him."

  Her voice tore at the end but she didn't care. She dabbed the corner of her eyes and sniffed. There was a defeaning silence on the other side

       "You had cancer?"

       She squeezed her eyes shut and realised what she had confessed.

        "Answer me, Khushi. You had cancer?" His voice was serious. She sighed and decided to tell the truth.

          "Yes."

       "And you didn't tell us? Your dee and me? Why?"

         "Jiju... I'm sorry. I didn't want to burden you and I wanted to get through it alone."

         "What if something had happened to you, kiddo? Hmm?"

      "I'm sorry, jiju. I wasn't thinking. I just wanted to get through chemo and the surgeries."

            There was again a long silence. She could feel tears in her eyes again.

          "Jiju?"

          "You're okay now?"

          "Yes, jiju. I'm fine now."

          "I'm disappointed, Khushi. I love you like my own little sister and you have his such a huge truth from me. I understand your reasons, kiddo. But I'm hurt."

           "Jiju. I'm sorry."

           "I feel sorry that you felt that sharing your illness would be a burden on us. I and your dee would never think so. And after this, I can understand Janvi's point of view."

            Khushi felt led in her stomach. Veer and Janvi were the only she had in the world, "Please don't cut me off, Jiju. Like Dee..."

       "Ofcourse I won't, kiddo. But I need some time to process this."

       "Hmm okay."

     "Another thing – If you still love him, then don't let him go again. Love like that is rare, kiddo."

      ***

    A/N: short chapter. I know. But I have exams so I just don't want y'all to starve. Something is better than nothing.

Okay the meds for my depression, I'm taking anti-depressant and mood stabilizer and it's been a week and honestly y'all I'm a totally different person. I don't procrastinate much, I don't get irritated or angry.

My mom told me to not take meds but I've been taking them secretly but honestly it's made a world of difference. My irl friends have noticed the change too and it's been amazing.

I'm still worried about a job. I'm applying to places. I hope I find good place to work in.

Anyways thanks for reading. Vote and comment.

Extra content reels n stuff are on my insta @sweet_shakkar and I'm more active there than here so bye bye lots of love!