Chapter Twenty Five

"Nakshatra? What a surprise!"

     "It's Nats and you know that..."

      Nats pulled a stool beside this bed and sat down. Normally, she wouldn't have sat but her knees were singing all morning and she couldn't bear to stand on them.

     "How are you?" He asked. Dhariya Kapadia had gotten old. Older than she had expected The crow's feet on the corner of his eyes wrinkled as he smiled.

     "I'm great." She shrugged. "Life's good. I won't ask how you are because, obviously you are not okay..."

     To her utter surprise, he began laughing until he was gasping for breath, "You were always a riot, Nats."

        "Thank you. I know."

    A moment of silence fell between them, "Why did you mail me, Dhariya?"

      "I wanted to see you one last time and apologise for beingban asshole."

         She took off her sunglasses and sighed, "Apologise for which time? The time you dragged me back home when he eloped? Or the time you tried to suggest that I be your mistress while you marry my sister? Or for the time I caught you out with your mistress when Dhruv was a baby? Or maybe it's the time my sister's body hadn't even gone cold and you asked me to marry you?"

       "You were always morally good. I was always weak."

        "That's a bullshit way of saying you were selfish and a bad man all your life."

       "I won't deny it. But I'm trying to make amends..."

     "Can it even be amended? Your sins? My sister is dead because of you. You judged her so harshly, you were such a hypocrite! You've never loved any of your children fully. Not Dhruv nor Dishu. Not to forget what you did to that poor girl Khushi. Don't put the blame on the supposed love you felt for me, you had the choice, you willingly let me go and the chose to punish everyone else for your choices."

     "Nats, I'm sorry..."

     "Dhariya, all I'm here to tell you, is that, it's too late. I don't regret loving you. I never have. But you're not the only one I loved, I've live a long and a fulfilling life and will continue to, till I breathe my last. You're my past. So don't send me  letters full of pining, I don't want you to."

       Nats almost felt bad when his eyes shined with tears, "Also, Dhruv knows about us. The poor child was so hurt. I just... don't want anything to do with you anymore. I don't want to disappoint the children."

         He sniffed and wiped away his tears, ever the macho man, Nats thought. "You'll take care of them, won't you? I have no one to leave them in care of."

       "Ofcourse, that goes without saying."

      "I've heard about Dhruv. I don't know what's going on with him and Khushi..."

      "He's planning on getting a divorce from his current wife trying to get full custody of Riyan."

     She watched him nod, "I'll talk to my old colleagues... but you'd have to convince him to take their help, too proud that son of mine."

       "He is his father's son."

    "He's a better man than me. Have you talked to Dishu?"

      "Not yet. I heard she's getting married too."

       "Apparently the guy is a murderer. Shot his father in cold blood."

      "You don't seem alarmed."