Chapter Four

Not edited. Also follow me on Instagram!

***

     "Nats...I," He immediately stopped. His aunt wasn't the only one in the room. There was Shri too who looked at him with wide eyes and she had Rian raised in her arms.

      That was twice in a day. He had never been this embarassed. He was mortified.

      "What are you doing here half naked? Have a care!" His elderly aunt said and he flushed. This was mortifying. He quickly rushed to the bedroom and clicked the lock.

       When he got out, he changed into his sherwani. He went to pick up Rian and kissed his chubby cheeks. "Riaaan, did you miss dada?"  He said and his son squealed in affirmative.

    "Ofcourse you did!" He kissed his cheeks noisily until his baby giggles filled the room.

       When he was done, he lowered the baby only to see her stare at him from the doorstep. Her; who dominated all his thoughts, day in and day out. She was white as a ghost and she carried a tray which was covered in foil in her hands.

    "Oh! You're finished. I'm so glad you did it, beta." Nats took the tray and handed it to Shri to place it in the Puja altar. And soon she left, that was an understatement. She bolted as if she would be anywhere but near him.

   Nats came in the room again and took Rian with a smile on her face. "Give him to me." She said. "I'll take care of this gentleman and you should go and spend time with your wife."

     ***

       By the time, the lift got down, her breaths had calmed down and she could make sense of everything now. She took in a cool breaths and when they were going towards the banquet hall, she stopped when she saw Dhairiya Kapadia outside. He looked at her and she knew that he wanted to speak to her.

     "I wanted to talk to you."

      "Sure. Go ahead." She muttered with as much politeness she could muster.

     She hadn't even thought that he would be here. It wasn't easy seeing him and knowing that he was behind the accident. Not only that, that if she hadn't worn her Dee's kurta and taken the scooty, it could've been her sister.

      "Dhruv told me that I should apologise to you."

      That annoyed her immensely. She hated when Dhruv solely took decisions. She didn't want an apology from this man. Kushi could never forgive him, even if he was Dhruv's father. That only plunged the dagger in her heart deeper.

     Was he tired of the family spat already and wanted to reconnect with his family? She wondered. Maybe that's why he wanted his dad to apologise so that she could forgive.

    "That's not necessary." She said as passively as she could muster and walked away. She never wanted to be in his presence again.

      After the Puja was done, they had the engagement ceremony and she plastered on a smile as she greeted everyone. After that was done and the dance floor was open, she grapped his elbow and pulled him towards a quiet corner. She tried to control the annoyance in her voice and let it be composed,

         "Did you tell your dad to apologise to me?"

          "Oh that. Yes I did. Did he?"

       "Why would you do that? I don't want his apology!"

    She was losing her patience and her voice was distressed. Also, she didn't want to fight in public. She looked around and saw Dhristhi waving to her from the dance floor and she waved back and held up two fingers indicating her to wait for two minutes.