Chapter Eight

Dhruv dug the heels of his palm in his eyes to stop the burning. If he cried, he knew that he would not stop. It would all pour out, grief, anger, malice, greed. Everything that he had buried would pour out and he wouldn't be able to stop it.

The doctors had told them that Dhristhi had lost her baby. She was in her early stages. His eyes burned and his ears rang from that moment. He had blood on his hands, it's stench was unbearable, his mother's, his sister's blood stained him. He was disgusted by himself.

"It's all your fault! You bastard! You son of a whore! You should've never entered our lives again!" His father had grabbed his collar, shaking him and yet he felt nothing.

It was Khushi who got in between and pried his father say from him. "Don't! Don't! It's not his fault!"

"You're right! It's your fault! You whore!" His father slapped her and he saw her stumble. "You're the reason why my daughter's life is ruined, her wedding is off!"

That was when his dam broke! He lunged for his father and punched him. "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU! HOW! FUCKING! DARE! YOU!" He kicked him between each until the man was on the ground. Khushi was the one dragging him off. She wrapped her arms around him waist stopped him and he couldn't find the strength to push her off.

He stood panting and watched his father sit upright. His lip was busted open. "Mom died because of you! She killed herself because you hit her, your own wife! So how fucking dare you hit my wife?!" He wiped his mouth from the drool that dripped on the corner of his lips.

Dhruv grabbed her wrist and brought her to the forefront, "As if all that you did to her wasn't enough! I am paying for your sins! I always do! So how fucking dare you, Dhariya Kapadia! I wish it was you who died instead of mom! I wish!"

***

Khushi sat in the hotel room beside Dhruv. Her cheek smarted but yet the only thing that pained her was her chest. Dhruv had a faraway look his eyes and it seemed too dangerous to leave him alone.

She pressed the cotton swab to the cut on his temple and he looked at her with cold eyes.

"Khushi, why don't you fuck off?" He said emotionlessly, brushing her hand off.

It stung but she continued, she understood that the day had gotten from bad to worse and he was hurting inside, hence he was lashing out at her.

She cupped his jaw and he tried to shift his face but she held strong.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...." Her voice tore and her heart broke for him.

He looked at her like he was annoyed and he smiled, not his usual boyish smile but one which was full of hardness.

"Sorry for what? For betraying me? For killing me? Oh wait!" Then Kushi saw him stand up and throw his head back in laughter.

"Right. Nothing happened. Right? Yet, you lied to me for months." His laughter died down.

"It's true, that nothing happened but I was ready to. I was in a very bad place and I -"

"I don't care." He clapped his hands together and joined them together. "I don't care. I wish I gave a fuck about you right now but I don't." He said and she closed her eyes, and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"You're hurting and I know you don't mean that."

"No. Fuck you. I mean it! You think I'm this nice person. I'm not! Which is probably why you decided to skip your way to someone else!" He walked to her and bent down to meet her eyes.