Chapter Sixteen

A/N: Vote and comment.

     ***

    Dhruv bent down, picking up Riyan from his car seat. "Dada adada." He squealed and Dhruv smiled kissing his cheek.

      "That's right. Dada. My smart boy...My precious boy..." Cooing he shut the car door. Neeta was already waiting along the hood of the car.

       "You look nervous."

        "I am scared. What if they transfer custody to him? I don't want to lose Riyan." She said walking towards the courthouse.

        "I understand but Janvi was recommended this lawyer so she must be good so stop worrying, it'll be fine."

         When they reached the entrance, they already saw Smitha; their lawyer standing. "Good morning, Mr. Kapadia. I didn't know you were joining us."

     "How could I not? Riyan is my son too, even though he's not biologically mine."

         "I did hear that divorce cases don't hold strongly in the face of custody battles." Neeta said.

           "They don't. This is family court. They will look at what is best for the child."

       Neeta groaned, dropping her head into her palms. "Ms. Neeta, I'm sorry but the court doesn't look in favour of single mothers. If Riyan was a girl, the matter would've been different."

       "Parag is single too...this is unfair."

       "He's a man...and he might remarry and most of all, he's rich with a stable income. You are not working..."

          "I- I might marry too. We're dating!" Neeta blurted out and all Dhruv could do was smile to not let his irritation show.

      "I will see what I can do." Smitha said.

      ***

      "Ms. Neeta, you can understand our concern about how you will raise this child alone." The judge said.

       "Your honor, Ms. Neeta has assured me that she is going to remarry soon to Mr. Dhruv Kapadia. He was also the one whose care Riyan was in all these months."

          Dhruv stiffened at the statement and shifted in his chair.

        "Can I take Riyan?" The judge extended her hands and Dhruv stood up and deposited him into her arms. In a moment, Riyan sniffed and started pouting crying.

      She held the baby towards Parag and Riyan cried harder , wriggling in her arms, she let him down on the floor.

       And Riyan bumbled crying towards him, Dhruv picked him up and kissed his head and rocked him, "It's okay, shhh..."

      The judge then said, "It's clear that Riyan is attached to Mr. Dhruv. So I will transfer full custody to Ms. Neeta on the condition that she gets married to Mr. Dhruv Kapadia within a month and the court orders Mr. Parag to pay child support monthly..."

       Dhruv had zoned out after that, he was only aware when Neeta called him. They were in the car driving home.

        "Are you mad at me?"

        "I'm not happy about this..." He said in a stiff stone.

        "I didn't know what else to say or do. I wanted Riyan..."

       "I'm not ready to get married again, Neeta."

        "I am not too. But Dhruv, please. Let's do this. Let's get married."