Chapter Twenty Three

"Dhruv... you're not at fault. Stop this."  Khushi rubbed his arm. Her heart broke at the prospect of him blaming himself. He was already staring off somewhere distant.

         Khushi wrapped her fingers on the back of the back of his neck pulling him into a hug. Dhruv stayed stiff, and she pulled him tighter, her eyes burning with tears. She pushed her head on his collar to not sob outright in his arms.

         His arms eventually wound up around her back, she turned her head to look at him, their foreheads touched. Khushi touched his jaw, feeling his jaw. He moved first, tilting his head and she closed her eyes.

      "Oh!"

     They broke apart and Khushi shoved herself away from him and stood up. He stood up too.

        "I'm gonna go." She left before there could be a scene.

   ***

        Dhruv must've temporarily gone insane to even think of kissing her. Or maybe, it was just an his past codependency issues acting up.

     "Don't let us interrupt you, I guess." Nats said moving in for a hug. He hugged his aunt back and that's when he noticed Shri standing behind his aunt. God damn, why was she here? He thought.

      "Nats! Hi, how come you're here?" Dhruv said moving past her. "And Shri too....?"

       "I'm not here to snatch your inheritance, I just came to drop Nats off." Shri snapped at him and turned to Nats,  "Call me when you're done, I'll wait in the parking."

          "What was that?" Dhruv said confused. "Anyway, what are you doing here?!"

       "I came to know about your father. And um...we should talk about Shri."

       "I'll just tell Mohan to keep Riyan company."

        "Aww, how is he?"

        "He's good. Let's meet him. Come come..."

      ***

       In the evening when the house was settled, Dhruv came to know that the nanny was missing possibly because she was responsible for Riyan's condition. He and thought it was Neeta but he was proved wrong.

     He had called up his lawyer and had a chat with the police who rounded it up to the nanny.

           He put Riyan to bed himself and saw that his phone rang, he picked up Neeta's call.

       "I just heard that someone hurt my son! What the hell were you doing when he was being abused?!" Neeta started off. "You are lucky I'm not in the city of else! Also, I'm not letting this go, Dhruv!"

        "I should've noticed sooner, you're right. When you come back, let's have a talk."

        Riyan had nodded off in his crib, so Dhruv put on his nightlight and got out of the nursery.

   Nats was staying in for the night while Shri stayed at the hotel. He found his aunt in the dining area, seated, with a cup of coffee in her hands.

      "Come sit. Do you want me to make you some coffee?"

       "No, no, it's okay." He slid into one the chairs.

        "I've been meaning to talk to you about your wife....Last time I saw you, beta, you were pretty much in love with Khushi, now you're married to someone else but staying separate. What's going on?"

        "Well.... it's a long story. And I don't have feelings for Khushi anymore. I'm married to Neeta so that I could get custody of Riyan. And....just so you know, I'm planning on divorcing her but I need to build a case so that I get some custody of Riyan which why I'm waiting on it."