Jeez Louise, Opal, Who spit in your cereal? (5)

"What? Rundown??" The dispatcher repeated.

"No, Runup. OF COURSE RUNDOWN, THAT'S WHAT I SAID, DIDN'T I?!" Aru hissed. This dispatcher could NOT, and she meant NOT, handle a emergency well.

"Ma'am im gonna need you to calm down," The dispatcher said clearly not having it. 'THE AUDACITY ON THIS BI-'

"OKAY" Aiden exclaimed. "Let me take this call instead"

Aru ran over to her friends and Brynne caught her in a hug. The next moment, they were on the floor, crying. Aru put her arm around Mini as well and they clutched tightly on to each other.

Sometimes, when we hold each other that's enough.

"Promise me, Aru" My mom had once said, when she thought Aru was asleep. "Give someone else the love I-I" Her voice cracked and Aru wished nothing more than to hug her tightly. But Aru was afraid if she did that her mom wouldn't continue.

"I failed to give you"

If only she had known how much she had given her.

The police got here in time to see them clutching each other and looked sympathetic. 

'Sympathetic' Thought Aru. 'More like pity.' And she needed no one's pity. 'You're Aru Shah. And you rock this life' she told herself.

Her sister Kara had once told her what sympathetic meant. "It comes from the Greek sympathētikós, from sym-, meaning "with," and páthos, meaning "suffering." She once said, enthusiastically. "It means someone who can understand suffering"

"Meh" Aru had once said. "Sounds like pity's twin bro"

Kara had laughed.

Aiden gave details, and the officer walked over.

"I'm officer Kubera, although you know me, Aru" He said. I apologize for our dispatcher who answered you, Opal. She sucks"

"She really does" Aru agreed. "I don't know who spit in her cereal because she was the literal opposite of what a dispatcher should be like."

"Yeah, seriously. She wakes up on the wrong side of the bed wayyyy too often" Kubera announced. "ANNYYWAYYYS details, please."

Aru gave some details, and the officers headed in.

"Sooooo, where will we be staying?" Aru asked.

Brynne shrugged. "My girlfriend Hira's staying alone in her apartment, I don't think she'd mind if you guys joined" She paused, "But uhh she only has one extra room and it's pretty small. Only one of you guys could come"

Aru and Mini looked at each other. 'I would be way too messy for that small room' Thought Aru. 'Maybe I could ask someone el-'

But her thoughts were interrupted when Aiden ran over to them.

"Have you guys decided where to stay?" He asked.

"Brynne and Mini are staying with Brynne's girlfriend" Aru said, before Mini could say anything. And then, wordlessly, they exchanged thanks and you're welcome.

Sometimes, they didn't even need to say what the other person thought. They just knew. It was like they had their own mindlink of sorts.

"Oh I see" Aiden replied. He turned to Aru, "Have you got anywhere to stay? Because me and Rudy have an extra room" he added: "If you think you can put up with him that is."

"Thanks! That would be great" She paused "And i don't really care about Rudy. I've had years of putting up with him"

"Great!" Brynne said.

Nothing really to say here.

What do you think?

~Loife