A lot goes down in the airport (28)

Aru's pov

As Rudy started the car, Aru debated too late on whether it was okay to join Rudy on picking her up.

Would she be third-wheeling? Because third-wheeling, no thank you. But like, she told Mini she'd be here. She could just back out of it and tell her she set them up. Wait, could you even set up an already dating couple?

But as a friend, she needed to be there for Mini. In the past, she had been there whenever her parents had been too hard on her. Cheering her up, listening to her and just being there.

But now that she had Rudy, did she really need Aru anymore?

"Aru?" Rudy snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Huh? What?"

"What'cha thinking about? You seem deep in thought?"

"Nah, it's nothing"

"Hmm" Rudy mused, making a turn. "You know, I'm glad you're coming as well. I think I'd probably say something stupid, so at least you're there to stop me from doing that"

Aru gave him a small smile and said. "I think she already knows you're stupid, so she won't be all that surprised"

"Ahh, there you are. At least now I know you're fine" He smiled back.

"What do you mean by that?" She squinted at him.

"Well, you're roasting me as usual. I was kinda worrying earlier because you seemed so somber"

"Oh"

"I know you can't really tell me anything, but is this about her parents?"

"Uh, yeah." Aru said, looking back outside. The sun was already gone, but the oranges and pinks still stayed painted across the sky.

"Oh. Then it's really good you're here for her"

"What do you mean?"

"There's nothing I can say or do that'll make her feel better. I mean, there might be something, but I never knew the entire story of her and her parents. Just knew they were strict. But you've been for her all these years, you know what works. You are her best friend."

How did he somehow ease all of Aru's worries without even trying? 

"I mean, sure. But I still feel like I don't need to be there"

"Is that what you were worried about earlier?"

"Ugh, why are you smart in the worst moments? You're never this smart!" She groaned.

"Gonna take that as a yes. In that case, you're just stupid."

"Wow, rude?" Aru looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"How could you even think that? You really think I could replace you?" Rudy asked incredulously.

"I mean-"

"I think even if I tried she'd tell me straight up that I can't even dream to replace you. Aru, you're her first ever friend"

"Yeah. It's true, you can't even dream of replacing me" Aru smiled. She didn't really mean it. She was just trying to stop him from worrying.

"Yeah" Rudy pulled over at the airport and parked. Aru called Mini.

Mini: Aru? My flight lands in like 4 minutes.

Aru: okay. We're here.

Mini: terminal 6.

Aru: got'cha.

They said goodbye and Aru and Rudy headed off. Aru thought it might be a good idea to get food for Mini because she probably didn't eat after the meet with her parents.