Part 4

"Gulf..." Kao looked at Gulf, hesitating for a moment before locking eyes with him, his gaze unwavering.

"Yes, P?" Gulf felt a sense of awkwardness from the intense eye contact.

"I, uh... I was wondering if you're not busy, maybe we could have dinner together? My treat," Kao said tentatively, his voice filled with uncertainty.

Gulf bit his lower lip, feeling conflicted. He didn't want to prolong their encounter, afraid that Kao might notice something off about him. However, declining the offer could raise suspicions.

"But if you're not available, I completely understand," Kao quickly added, hoping to alleviate any pressure Gulf might feel.

"No, it's okay. I just don't want to burden you, P," Gulf replied with a flat smile.

"No, it would be my pleasure to have dinner with you," Kao said, blinking in surprise at his own words.

"Huh?" Gulf tilted his head slightly, caught off guard by Kao's response.

"Uh, I mean, we've never had a meal together alone outside before, so I thought it might be nice," Kao explained, trying to maintain a casual tone.

After a moment of hesitation, Gulf accepted the offer. He wanted to point out that Kao was acting strangely, but he also felt self-conscious about his own behavior, so he decided not to comment on anything.

Kao drove them to a high-end restaurant, and Gulf hesitated for a moment when they arrived. The establishment looked expensive, and Gulf worried that his attire might not be suitable.

"Don't worry, you look great," Kao reassured him, as if he could read Gulf's thoughts. A small smile tugged at Gulf's lips, and he nodded, following Kao into the restaurant.

Gulf expected to be seated at a table among other diners, but to his surprise, the waitress led them to a private room. Gulf wondered if they were meeting VIPs or someone important.

"P? I thought we were just having dinner," Gulf asked slowly, voicing his confusion.

"We are," Kao replied calmly, continuing to walk toward the private room.

"But—" Gulf began to protest, but his words trailed off.

"I didn't want any disturbances, so I requested a private room," Kao turned around, looking at Gulf.

"Oh," Gulf was taken aback by Kao's actions.

"I hope you don't mind," Kao said before walking into the private room.

Gulf stood there momentarily, absorbing the unexpected turn of events, before finally entering the room to join Kao.

"No, I don't mind," Gulf shrugged and took a seat in front of Kao. He felt grateful that Kao had chosen a private place for their dinner. It meant he didn't have to be as aware of his surroundings.

"This place has good noodles. I informed them that you're allergic to shrimp, so they didn't include shrimp tempura as a topping," Kao explained.

Gulf nodded, but after a few moments, he looked at Kao with surprise. How did Kao know about his allergy? He had never mentioned it before.

"How did you know, P?" Gulf asked, causing Kao to freeze for a second before clearing his throat.

"I, uh... I overheard it from the staff during the Boyfriend concert," Kao quickly responded, forcing a smile in the hopes that Gulf would believe him. And Gulf did.

"Oh, thank you, P. I didn't think you would remember," Gulf smiled gratefully.

"Of course, I remember. Who wouldn't?" Kao shrugged, his eyes avoiding Gulf's gaze.

"Huh?" Gulf furrowed his eyebrows.

"I mean... You're the first person I've met with a shrimp allergy, so it's easy to remember," Kao said confidently, though he continued to avoid Gulf's eyes.

"Oh, I see," Gulf simply nodded, choosing not to press further. His mind was filled with questions, but he decided to keep them to himself.

When the tea arrived, Kao took it upon himself to pour a cup for Gulf. Before Gulf could say anything, the tea was already in his cup.

"The weather is cold. You should warm yourself up with the tea," Kao suggested, his thoughtful gesture warming Gulf's heart.

Throughout the dinner, their conversation mostly revolved around work. Kao did most of the talking, while Gulf listened attentively to Kao's complaints about having too much on his plate. At times, Kao would mention wanting to escape but being caught by his manager, who scolded him and instructed him to reflect on himself by staring at a wall for ten minutes. Gulf chuckled at the mental image, finding it amusing.

"Finally, you laugh," Kao remarked with a smile.

"Huh?" Gulf looked at Kao in surprise, realizing that he hadn't laughed at all in the past five days.

"You've seemed stressed. Hearing you laugh makes me feel a bit better," Kao replied, his smile warm and comforting.

Gulf bit his lower lip, his gaze shifting to the floor. He hadn't expected to laugh, yet he had. As they finished their dinner, Kao offered to walk Gulf back to his hotel, but Gulf politely declined. He didn't want to burden Kao any further, so he made his way back alone. Before he left, Kao placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Gulf, if you need anything, I'm here."

Gulf interpreted the words as a caring brother looking out for his younger sibling.

Once he reached his hotel, Gulf lay down on his bed and stared at the ceiling. Maybe that dinner was the distraction he needed, but now that he was alone, all the memories flooded back.

"Stay safe, Gulf."

"Why are you wearing shorts? It's cold out here. Stay safe, na."

"We're brothers who love each other."

"My actions come straight from my heart."

"Sorry if I'm a bit clingy today, but I can't help myself. You know how Tharn is."

"Gulf, you always make people want to protect you. Stay safe, Gulf."

All the words Mew had ever said to him off-screen came rushing back. Gulf had believed that Mew had done all those things out of love. But in the end, Gulf was left alone. That night, Gulf cried himself to sleep, just as he had done for the past few days.

It was now the last day of Gulf's stay in Japan. Tomorrow, he would be leaving, but his heart still ached. It had gradually become numb, a shield to protect him from the pain. That evening, Gulf decided to visit the beach and stay there until midnight. He sat down on the cool sand, his gaze fixated on the vast ocean before him. The weather was chilly, but Gulf hardly felt it. He let out a heavy sigh, burdened by the weight of his emotions.

"That's a heavy sigh," a voice came from behind him.

Gulf looked up in surprise, his eyes meeting Kao's.

"P'Kao..."

TBC