Part 17

Kao looked at the passenger's seat, where Gulf was sleeping so calmly. He must have been tired. Kao let out a long sigh before leaning his forehead on the steering wheel, trying to calm himself down. After a few seconds, he turned his head to the side.

"I'll make sure you don't cry anymore, Gulf," Kao whispered, his hand inching towards Gulf's cheek before he decided to retract it.

After half an hour, Gulf woke up from his nap and realized he was alone in the car. He looked around and recognized the place. Kao had brought them to the restaurant near the beach.

"Hmm?" Gulf noticed the blanket covering his body. No wonder he felt so comfortable.

He turned off the car, took the key, and stepped outside to find Kao.

"P'Kao," Gulf walked toward Kao, who had been staring out at the ocean.

Kao turned around and smiled warmly.

"You woke up," Kao shifted his body to face Gulf.

"Why didn't you wake me up, P? It's a waste of fuel," Gulf questioned.

"Because you looked so comfortable. I didn't want to disturb you. Besides, it's never a waste if it's for you," Kao replied, then started walking toward the restaurant.

"Huh?" Gulf was stunned.

Did he hear that correctly?

After a few seconds, he regained his senses and quickly caught up with Kao.

"Come on, let's eat. I'm sure you're hungry," Kao handed the menu to Gulf.

"Thank you, P," Gulf beamed. He was famished.

After placing their order, Kao took a jar of water and poured warm water into the glasses.

"Hmmm... P..." Gulf slowly called out to Kao.

"Yes?" Kao placed the water on Gulf's side.

"What did you and P'Mew talk about earlier?" Gulf watched as Kao paused for a moment.

"Oh, it was nothing. We just hadn't met before, so I thought I should introduce myself to him," Kao smiled, assuring Gulf that nothing had happened.

"But both of you looked serious," Gulf stated. He had only glimpsed their interaction for a few moments before falling asleep.

"Don't worry about it. It's just my usual expression," Kao smiled.

"No, it's not. You never looked that serious off-camera before. I always saw you smiling and cheerful," Gulf commented, unintentionally complimenting Kao.

"So you've been watching me?" Kao teased with a smile.

"No... I just happened to notice," Gulf tried to come up with an excuse.

"Everyone says that I look intimidating off-camera with my serious expression. I only smile and act like this in front of you," Kao smiled.

Gulf's eyes widened, and he felt his cheeks growing warmer. He quickly looked down and bit his lower lip.

"You look embarrassed," Kao chuckled.

"P!" Gulf protested, though he was smiling.

The food arrived, and they started talking about other topics. After dinner, Kao drove Gulf back home.

"Thank you for everything, P," Gulf turned toward Kao.

"It was my pleasure. But I do hope you can get some rest. You look tired," Kao said with a worried expression.

"Yeah, the back-to-back schedule took a toll on me," Gulf smiled thinly.

"I know work is important, but your health is more important," Kao stated.

"I understand, P. Thank you once again," Gulf smiled.

Just as Gulf opened the car door, Kao spoke up.

"If you need anything, I am here," Kao stared directly into Gulf's eyes.

Gulf could feel his cheeks turning red. He nodded before quickly walking to the house. He swore he could have a heart attack someday.

The next day, Gulf got ready for his schedule but was shocked to see P'Best standing in front of his room.

"P'Best, why are you so early? I have two hours before the meeting," Gulf fixed his shirt.

"That's why I'm here. I'm here to tell you that the meeting was canceled, and that means today is your day off," P'Best grinned.

"What? You should have told me earlier. I could have slept longer," Gulf said as he sat on his bed.

"I just received the info too," P'Best sat next to Gulf.

"You know you could have told me over the phone, right?" Gulf looked at P'Best.

"Yes, but I came here to hear your story," P'Best smiled.

"What story?" Gulf questioned.

"About yesterday. What happened? Tell me everything," P'Best looked straight at Gulf.

"Nothing happened, P. I went to take my measurements and went to dinner with P'Kao. That's all," Gulf lied down.

"Of course, I know that. I mean, did Kao do anything? Did he tell Mew or threaten Mew?" P'Best asked.

"What? No. P'Kao just waited outside the whole time. Although he did introduce himself to P'Mew afterward," Gulf stated.

"That's all? Boring. He should have given a lesson or two to Mew. That person should be ashamed of his actions," P'Best showed an angry expression.

"P'Mew doesn't mean any harm. I'm sure he just wanted to rebuild our friendship. That's all," Gulf closed his eyes.

"Yeah, sure. Like I would believe that. Anyways, since nothing happened, I should leave. I have tons of things to settle," P'Best stood up.

"You came here just for that?" Gulf opened his eyes.

"Of course. Although I do hope Kao confronted Mew a bit," P'Best stated.

Gulf shook his head and smiled.

"But, Gulf, remember this. If anything happens, I am here," P'Best smiled.

"I am here? Why would you say that, P?" Gulf stood up.

"Because I care about you... I should get going. Bye, Gulf," P'Best quickly left.

Because he cared?

Gulf suddenly gasped. Now everything clicked.

Does Kao care about him?

TBC