Part 13

Gulf sat there, staring at Kao as he ordered the food for both of them. Kao looked charming under the lights, his dark skin tone contrasting with the bright shirt he wore.

How could this guy still be single despite how attractive he was?

Wait, what? Gulf shook his head. What was wrong with him? He was thinking about Kao before, and now he couldn't stop staring at him. He even found himself complimenting Kao's attractiveness. He quickly averted his eyes and looked down at his lap. Staring too much would only cause him problems.

"Why did you stop?" Kao grabbed a jar of cold water from the table.

"Stop what, P?" Gulf looked up.

"Stop staring at me. I was just starting to enjoy it," Kao poured cold water into a cup.

"I wasn't doing such a thing, P..." Gulf tried to cover up his actions.

"Sure... Whatever makes you happy, Gulf," Kao put a cup of cold water in front of Gulf.

"It's true, P," Gulf took the cup and took a sip. He needed to calm down.

"I believe you, Nong," Kao smiled teasingly.

Gulf bit down on his retorts. He could never win against Kao. The food arrived, and once again, Kao surprised Gulf. There was crispy pork with fried basil, Chinese kale, and minced pork with stir-fried basil rice.

"The basil here is fresh. They grow it themselves," Kao wiped a spoon and fork before handing them to Gulf.

Gulf thanked Kao before taking them. He felt his cheeks burning up once again. Kao's actions seemed so natural, causing Gulf's heart to beat faster.

"P, how did you know that I like basil?" Gulf took a scoop of rice and ate it.

He was surprised to find that the rice was delicious and the basil was indeed fresh, just as Kao had said.

"Depends," Kao ate his rice.

"Depends on what, P?" Gulf took another bite.

"Depends on whether you can answer my questions truthfully," Kao took a sip of his drink.

"What questions, P?" Gulf took a sip as well.

"I'll tell you later, but for now, focus on your food," Kao pointed at Gulf's plate with his fork.

"Okay, P," Gulf decided not to pursue the matter.

After they finished their lunch, Kao handed Gulf a cup of hot chocolate.

"Here," Kao then walked towards the beach, with Gulf catching up while sipping the hot chocolate.

When Gulf stood next to Kao, he felt warmth. Not just in his stomach, but in his heart as well. He didn't know why, but he decided to leave it there for the moment.

After a few minutes of walking, Kao suddenly stopped. Gulf looked at Kao curiously. Why had he gone quiet all of a sudden?

"Gulf...about the question I wanted to ask..." Kao spoke up.

"Yes, P?" Gulf took a sip of his hot chocolate.

"I want you to answer me truthfully. I want answers that come from your heart," Kao still didn't turn towards Gulf.

"Okay, P," Gulf intended to jokingly argue, but Kao seemed serious. Kao turned around and looked into Gulf's eyes, his intense gaze making Gulf feel weak.

"Do you still have feelings for Mew?" Kao purposely didn't use the term "P" when referring to Mew.

Gulf was surprised by the question. It was a question he knew would come up in the future, but he didn't expect it to come so early.

Gulf bit his lower lip, contemplating the question. He thought maybe Kao would give up if he remained silent, but Kao just stood there, waiting for him. Kao's eyes never left Gulf.

"I don't love him anymore," Gulf avoided Kao's gaze.

"Gulf...look into my eyes and answer my question again, or else I won't believe you," Kao expressed his dissatisfaction with Gulf's avoidance.

After a few moments of silence, Gulf took a deep breath. He looked up, and now they were both locked in each other's gaze, drowning in each other's eyes.

"I don't have feelings for P'Mew anymore. Even if there are any, it would never be love anymore. Just a feeling from one actor to another," Gulf said confidently.

He had questioned his heart countless times, but it had always remained unanswered. However, when Kao pushed Gulf to answer, his heart finally accepted that Mew no longer held a special place within it.

Kao turned around, biting his lower lip as he tried to hide his smile. Staring into Gulf's eyes was bad for his heart, he thought. His heart now felt light.

"Then, I'm glad to hear that," Kao said, then walked towards his car.

"P! Wait for me," Gulf quickly finished his lukewarm hot chocolate and followed Kao, tossing the cup into a bin.

The drive was silent, but Gulf felt uneasy. He needed answers.

"P, why did you ask me that question?" Gulf turned to face Kao.

"To initiate a plan," Kao smiled. If he could whistle, he would have, but that would have looked too strange to Gulf.

"A plan? What plan?" Gulf became even more confused.

"Hmm," Kao kept driving. When they arrived at Gulf's place, Gulf was still looking at Kao, waiting for answers.

"P...what plan?" Gulf demanded.

"I'll tell you when I've achieved my goal," Kao smiled widely.

Before Gulf left, Kao spoke up.

"Gulf, if you need anything, I'm here."

TBC