Part 9

Gulf had a restless night, unable to sleep well, and the text message remained marked as "seen." Today was the day for his second script reading meet-up for the new drama. He decided to answer the text later and focus on his work for now.

Arriving at the meeting room, Gulf's makeup concealed his hidden eye bags, and no one mentioned them. He had no explanations or excuses for his lack of sleep. Kao didn't join the meeting today as he had another event to attend. After a few hours, the meeting ended, leaving Gulf alone once again. Lost in thoughts about the text, he stared at the flowers on the meeting table. What should he do? How should he respond? Why did Mew want to meet him?

"I never thought you'd be interested in flowers," Gulf heard a voice and looked up.

"P'Kao," Gulf greeted Kao with a wai, and Kao returned the gesture before sitting next to Gulf. He placed a paper bag in front of Gulf.

"What's this, P?" Gulf asked.

"Lunch," Kao replied.

"Lunch?" Gulf raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, lunch," Kao nodded.

"For me?" Gulf pointed to himself.

"Of course. You're the only one here," Kao answered.

"But why?" Gulf questioned.

"I thought you might be alone again, so I just stopped by," Kao shrugged.

Why did Gulf keep asking questions? He couldn't hold himself back.

"Thank you, P, but you didn't have to do this. It must be tiring to go back and forth," Gulf said as he took the paper bag.

"Not really," Kao said, loosening a water bottle and pushing it towards Gulf. Gulf glanced at Kao's warm gesture.

Gulf opened the paper bag and once again was surprised by Kao's choice of food. It was spicy basil chicken with rice. He turned his head to look at Kao, meeting the older man's eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Kao asked.

"How did you know, P?" Gulf ignored the question.

"Know what?" Kao inquired.

"Know that I like basil," Gulf explained.

"You do?" Kao appeared surprised.

"Yes, P," Gulf nodded.

"Well, then I made a good choice," Kao smiled.

Gulf looked at Kao suspiciously. It felt like Kao was hiding something.

"Eat your food; it's getting cold," Kao said as he wiped the spoon and fork before handing them to Gulf.

Gulf nodded and ate the food in silence. The meal helped improve his mood. Kao simply accompanied Gulf and ate without speaking, wanting Gulf to focus on eating. Gulf looked thinner than before.

"Thank you again for the food, P," Gulf wiped his mouth and smiled at Kao.

"No worries. I'm glad you liked it," Kao cleaned up the table.

"I did. The restaurant you chose is good, P," Gulf helped Kao clean up.

"Then maybe I can take you there sometime. They have even more delicious food," Kao smiled before disposing of all the trash. He then washed his hands.

"I'd be grateful, P," Gulf smiled.

"That's good," Kao handed Gulf a cup of hot chocolate.

"Dessert," Kao said.

"Thank you, P," Gulf sipped the hot chocolate and smiled as he tasted the sweetness.

"I need to go. My manager keeps calling me," Kao took out his phone.

"Oh, I thought you didn't have any events after this. I feel bad for keeping you company during lunch, P," Gulf stood up.

"No, it's a good way to relax, after all," Kao raised his hand.

"What, P?" Gulf blinked.

"Nothing. I think you should get some rest. You look like you didn't sleep the whole night," Kao smiled.

"Uhhh, I think you should go now, P. Your manager is waiting for you," Gulf tried to avoid the topic.

Kao pondered for a moment before nodding, then walked towards the meeting room's door. Before pushing the door, he stopped and looked at Gulf.

"Gulf, if you need anything, I'm here," Kao smiled and left.

Gulf stood there, feeling unaffected. "I am here?" What did Kao mean? Did he appear to be in trouble that Kao had to constantly reassure him?

Gulf lay down on his bed, closing his eyes for a moment, but the text came back to his mind. He took out his phone and decided to put an end to this matter once and for all.

(P'Mew)

Hi, P. I have a day off tomorrow, but I have plans with my family, so maybe we can meet up tomorrow night?
-Sent 10.45 p.m.-

Yes, of course. I'll text you the details tomorrow.
-Received 10.48 p.m.-

Gulf sighed. Though he felt sad, it was bearable now. The next day, Gulf spent the day with his family. It had been a long time since they had spent time together. In the evening, Gulf went to a temple and stayed there for a while. When he left the temple, he was surprised to see Kao there too.

"P'Kao?" Gulf approached him.

"Oh, Gulf. I never thought I'd see you here," Kao warmly smiled at Gulf.

"Me too, P," Gulf returned the smile.

"Are you heading back?" Kao asked.

"Yes, P," Gulf nodded.

"Ummm, if you're free, maybe we can have dinner together? My treat," Kao looked at Gulf expectantly. It was a tempting offer, but Gulf had to decline.

"Ummm, it's a generous offer, P. But, I have to decline. I need to meet someone," Gulf forced a flat smile.

"Someone?" Kao looked at Gulf, sensing that Gulf was feeling down.

"Ummm, P'Mew," Gulf bit his lower lip. He could confide in Kao since Kao knew about his feelings towards Mew.

After a few moments of silence, Kao looked at Gulf.

"I'll drive you there"

TBC