chapter fourteen: neveah meets squirrels

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

"What are the primary causes of war?" Cory asks the class while Eric sits at his desk.

Eric slams his hands on the desk and slowly arises, "You may be wondering why I'm..."

"Not, now." Cory raises his finger at him causing him to slowly sit back down.

"Freedom." Riley guesses.

"Revenge." Jake.

"Nationalism." Eva.

"Religion." Lucas.

"Pancakes." Maya bluntly says.

"You may be wondering why I'm..."

"Not now!" Cory tells him.

"Ahhh..." Eric shouts back but sits down.

Riley sighs and turns to the two girls with a pleading look. "Can't we be friends again?"

"Thought you didn't want to be friends." Neveah mumbles while Maya shakes her head.

"We're at war, Riley."

"Why?"

Maya turns to her, "Because when I knew I could count on you to defend me, I felt at peace. Now, I'm not at peace." She turns back to the front.

"Maya, what's the difference what anybody says?" Riley asks her.

"Because even if I am short, I never felt like I was until you didn't disagree." Maya snaps, Riley trails her eyes to the ground in realization as Neveah crosses her arms and leans against her chair.

"In any war, the immediate danger is escalation to other countries." Cory explains to the class.

"It seems like this is about Riley and Maya. How could it escal-" Farkle was cut off by a paper ball that Maya throws at him, he quickly reacts by pulling out a toy gun and shoots her with ping pong balls. The group looks at him in shock as he calms down. "I get it now."