chapter eighteen: neveah meets the new teacher

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

★ ☆ ✰ ✮ ✯

Carmen and Shawn stare at their kids, inhaling their food before glancing at each other.

"O-okay. What's going on?" Shawn speaks first as Neveah grabs her glass of water to take a sip before diving back into the chicken.

"Why are you two inhaling the food like it's gonna disappear?" Carmen adds, dropping her fork back on to the plate.

"Dinner's keeping us from doing homework." Jake mumbles with food in his mouth.

Neveah hums, "We gotta head to Rile's so we can start." Carmen looks down at the comic books on the table.

"Are those comic books?" Carmen asks her boyfriend, Shawn nods his head with a smile.

"We have a new English teacher and she wants us to read this." Neveah explains. Shawn hums, still smiling. He had a hunch that it was Cory's little plan.

Carmen looks at Shawn, "Didn't you say you had a teacher back in high school-"

Shawn nods his head with a smile, "Yep." Carmen shakes her head with a smile, Shawn places his elbows on the table as he turns to his kids. "So, tell me about your new English teacher?"

Jake smiles after swallowing his food, "Motorcycle."

"Leather jacket." Neveah adds, reminiscing the morning with one of her new favorite teachers.

Shawn smirks, "Sounds very familiar." He glances at Carmen.

"Cory's doing?" She asks the man who nods his head.

"Always." Carmen returns the nod and glances at their kids.

"So, I'm assuming you guys like her?"

"Love her." Neveah corrects, setting her fork down along with Jake.

"But, Principal Yancy doesn't." Jake tells them, Neveah rolls her eyes.

"Who cares? He just doesn't like the fact that she's going another route on teaching us." Neveah says.

Shawn nods with a small smile. "I remember the time, I had a teacher like that." His minds drifts to the man who was like a father figure to him back in his teenage years.

"You do?" Jake and Neveah asks, Shawn hums.

"Uhuh. He was pretty cool."

"We're talking about Mr. Feeny right?" Neveah perches a brow.

Shawn shakes his head with a laugh, "No. There was one other cool guy. He actually took me in to live with him for awhile when I was in high school." Shawn gives Neveah a look causing her to gasp from remembrance.

"Uncle Jon." Shawn nods his head with a chuckle.

"Yeah. He was a pretty cool teacher. He got me to finally pass a class." Shawn says, Carmen rubs his arm.