prologue

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪•••••

August 25th, 2010 was about to be a day that would go down in history. The day everything fell apart for everyone in the entire world— The day the dead took over the world.

Mercedes Warren's day started off normal. She had breakfast with her dad, said hello to her neighbors cat: Gloria. But as the day slowly dragged on things started to get weirder.

Mercedes walked down the narrow hall of her house to the door that led to the garage. It was left wide open since her dad was currently in there messing around trying to fix the toaster that had broke three days ago.

The girl stepped down the first two steps that lead into the garage before jumping off of the second to last step.

"Damnit." Her father, Jesse swore as he shook his phone in the air.

Mercedes stopped dead in her tracks and looks at him weirdly. "What did that poor phone do to you?" She asked, a playful smile tugging at her lips.

"This damn thing won't get a signal." Jesse grumbled tossing the phone onto his workstation. "Smartphone my ass. Should've never let your uncle talk me into replacing my landline for this stupid device."

Mercedes laughed walking over and picking up the phone. She unlocked it and the first screen that popped up was her unclea contact. "You're trying to call him to tell him all that?" She asked, looking up at the man.

He sighed and shook his head. He then leaned back against his workstation and crossed his arms. "No. I was trying to call him to see if he was still gonna be flying in next week but that damn--"

"Yeah, yeah, Damn 'smartphone' won't get a signal." Mercedes said mocking her father.

Jesse nodded "exactly." He said before laughing slightly."And watch your language, please."

Mercedes rolled her eyes playfully as she put Jesse's phone down. "Yes, Sir." She said before she heading towards the door.

"Oh! Ross is gonna be watching you in an hour. I have to run into Atlanta to pick up a ham to cook next week!" Jesse yelled, picking up his phone and shoving it into his pocket.

"Okay!"

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••

Mercedes stood in her front yard with an older boy. The two of them watched as Jesse pulled out of the driveway in his pickup truck. Once he was down the road, Ross turned to Mercedes and smiles. "What do you wanna do now?" He asked.

The thirteen year old shrugged. "You wanna watch shrek?"

Ross thought for a minute before shrugging. "Sure, come on." He said, ruffling her hair before running towards the house.

"Ugh, Ross!" Mercedes exclaimed, fixing her hair as she takes off after him.

Ross lived next door to Mercedes and her dad for the past fifteen years. There has been tons of cookouts, birthdays parties, pet funerals and movie marathons between the two family's. Mercedes would even go as far as telling people that he was her big brother. Ross was the same in some ways. Sometimes he would blow off his friends with the only excuse being 'I'm hanging out with my little sister, maybe next time.'