chapter twenty-eight: history experts

(Hours earlier, Alexandria)

Mercedes was bored. A pretty often thing, especially when all her friends had things they had to do. But that all was about to change.

Mercedes was laying on the couch with Juno. She had a book in her hands that she was lazily reading. Suddenly the front door flung open and in walked her favorite twins.

She lowered her book and smiled seeing the two. "Hey, guys." She said as she sat up.

"Let's go on an adventure!" Chloe exclaimed as she walked over to the girl. She snatched her book out of her hands and laid it on the table.

"Where to?" Mercedes asked, cocking a brow.

Kane crossed his arms. "Fucking Disney world." He sarcastically said as Juno hopped off the couch and walked over to him, begging to be petted.

Mercedes looked away from Kane and gave Chloe a questioning look. The Raleigh girl sighed with a roll of her eyes. "So... There's a water park—"

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Somehow, with little effort Chloe managed to get Mercedes to sneak out with her and Kane. Chloe herself was a bit surprised with how Mercedes hardly needed convincing... But of course she should've known that her friend would be all for it.

The three teenagers and Juno walk along an old beaten down road. Kane led the way with his head held high. Both Chloe and Mercedes were getting tired of walking it was going on two hours and they still haven't made it to the water park.

"Are we almost there?" Mercedes asked, kicking a pinecone across the pavement. There hadn't been many walkers for a while and while that was a bit refreshing to not have to worry about the dead, Mercedes was getting bored and at least you can't get bored if you're fighting off walkers.

"Soon! Five more minutes!" Kane sang as he swung his arms through the air.

Chloe scoffed, readjusting her backpack. "You've been saying that for two hours." She grumbled, shaking her head.

A sigh left Mercedes nose and she stopped in the middle of the road. "Admit it, Columbus, we're lost." She said, tiredly throwing her arms in the air.

Kane stopped and turned to her. "We're not lost. Besides, Columbus was lost when he discovered America."

"Columbus didn't discover shit, dumbass." Mercedes told the boy.

Kane looked at her confused. "What do you mean? My history teacher told me so."

Chloe sighed. "Technically, Columbus was just some guy who got lost. Others had stumbled across our “amazing” country hundreds of years before Columbus was born... Like the Vikings?" She explained.

Kane turned his attention to her. "Since when have either of you been history experts?"

The two girls looked at each other and started to laugh a little, only confusing Kane even more. "You know what? I'll just ask one of the dads when we get home. They'll be more helpful than the two of you." He rolled his eyes.