chapter nineteen: Sandwiches and friendship

The next morning Michelle and Mercedes left the house to explore Alexandria. The two walk with their arms looped together.

"Did you live in a neighborhood like this? I did." Michelle said, glancing at Mercedes.

Mercedes nodded. "Yeah... It wasn't this big though."

Suddenly a soccer ball flew through the air, nearly hitting the two girls.

"Oh, my God!" A brunette girl, their age yelled running towards the two, with another girl.

"You didn't get hit, right?" The other girl asked, concerned.

"No... We're both okay." Mercedes answered, sending both girls a small smile.

"Hey, you're with the group Chloe's dads brought in yesterday." The dark skinned girl said, snapping her fingers.

"Yep, Michelle and Mercedes." Michelle introduced, gestering to herself then Mercedes.

"Well, you heard Salim. My name's Chloe--"

"And Chloe just said my name." Salim added, smiling.

"Nice to meet you both. It's not everyday that we meet anyone our own age." Mercedes said.

"You guys wanna hang with us?" Salim asked.

"We're totally the coolest kids in town." Chloe joked, rolling her eyes. "But my brother thinks he has that title."

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

The four girls ended up walking around the community, getting to know one another. They soon ended up on somebody's front porch and Chloe knocked on the door.

Soon the white door opened and a blonde woman smiled at the four.

"Hey, Jessie!" Chloe beamed, with a large smile.

"Chloe, hey. The boys and Enid are up in Ron's room." Jessie said, allowing the four girls to enter the house before shutting the door.

"Thanks." Chloe grinned before looking at the others. "Let's go."

She led them upstairs and the four of them enter a bedroom where four boys and a girl are hanging out. One of the boys happened to be Carl.

"Carl?" Michelle and Mercedes asked at the same time.

"Merce, Shell? What are you guys doing here?" The Grimes boy asked, standing up.

"They're with us." Chloe proudly said, stepping forward. "Chloe Raleigh. I see you've met my douche bag brother and his idiot friends." She sent her brother a playful glare.

"You love us." Mikey smiled at her.

"Chloe is Mikey's girlfriend." Ron told Carl as he pointed at the two. He then looked at Mercedes and Michelle. "I'm Ron, that's Mikey, Derek, Kane and Enid."

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Mercedes walked along side Deanna after leaving Ron's house. "I'm showing you this place, Mercedes because I believe you would cherish it the way I do." The woman said, opening the gate to her backyard.