chapter nine: 𝖢𝗎𝗃𝗈

Mercedes and her new dog companion, Juniper set off as soon as the sun came up. With full-- halfway full stomachs the two had a good feeling about the day. Something good was gonna happen, Mercedes just knew it.

Juno decided to lead the way. Since the dog of the group wanted to lead the way she of course decided on the route through the woods. Mercedes didn't care though, she was no longer alone so it didn't matter to her.

The husky leading the way has a happy look on her face and her head is held high, Mercedes wasn't the only one that wasn't alone anymore. She happily glances around at the trees and birds flying through the sky with her tail wagging.

Suddenly though, the two started to hear men talking. Mercedes eyes widened and she looked around. She couldn't pinpoint the exact direction the sound it coming from.

"Juno, go hide." Mercedes pointed her finger.

The dog looked at her still wagging her tail. The voices got closer and  Mercedes held her breath. "Please! Just go!" She whisper-shouted waving her arms towards the dog.

Juniper sunk down towards the ground with a scared look in her eyes. She then ran away with her tail tucked between her legs. Mercedes frowned, feeling bad for scaring the dog.

The girl sighed and looked at the tree beside her. It had enough limbs she can use to climb up. She nodded to herself and quickly started to pull herself up on the limbs. Soon she was far enough up so she doesn't get spotted.

Moments later a group of men walk under her. They all spoke to one another. Mercedes could already tell that those men were bad news.

Her eyes trailed over each of the men until they landed on one man towards the back of the group. One very familiar man, Daryl Dixon.

Her eyes widened and she got the sudden urge to jump down and run to the first familiar face she had seen in forever. But her gut told her that it would be a bad idea.

Mercedes bit her lip and grabbed one of the pine cones off of the tree. She tossed it and hopped that it would hit the man.

Suddenly Daryl was hit in the back of the head with a pinecone. He looked up and started to look around. His eyes landed on Mercedes and they got an unreadable look in them.

Mercedes waves at him with a relieved grin on her face. Daryl let the sides of his lips twitch up momentarily. He shoom his head slightly, telling her to stay put.

Mercedes nodded and watched as the man walked away to catch up with the group of men ahead of him.

She waits a few seconds before quickly climbing down. As much as she would like to go look for Juniper she couldn't, not if she wanted to follow Daryl.

Mercedes looked in the direction that Juniper ran in. "Juno!?" She called out hoping the dog would hear and run back.

A smile appeared on her face when she saw her dog running towards her. "C'mon. We gotta follow 'em." She said petting the dog.

The two of them then set off following Daryl's tracks to the best of their abilities.