𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗈𝗇𝖾: 𝙱𝚊𝚛𝚋𝚒𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚕𝚕

Mercedes always was known to sleep in. On the road there wasn't much sleep but once they found the prison and knew it was safe Mercedes eventually fell back into her old habits of staying up late and sleeping in.

Many of the days she slept in she ended up being woken up by either Beth or her dad needing something. Today was different.

Carl Grimes carefully and quietly walked into the girl's cell which she shared with Beth. He lifted his head up to look at Mercedes on the top bunk.

She laid on her side facing Carl, with one arm curled underneath the pillow and the other holding onto it in her sleep. Carl smiled a little, admiring his best friend. Her nose crinkles up a little and Carl takes a deep breath, silently praying she wasn't waking up. He waits a second and sighed in relief.

He chuckled to himself before placing both of his hands on the top bunk right in front of Mercedes. "Cedie." He whispered trying not to laugh as he inched closer to her face.

"Mercedes." He said a bit louder. Mercedes stirred a little in her sleep and Carl took that as his opportunity to make his move. "Wake up!"

Mercedes eyes shot open and she sat up a little. Her eyes darted around her cell as her heart raced. Her eye then met Carl's and she scoffed. "What the hell?" She muttered, rubbing her eyes.

Carl doubled over laughing, shaking his head. "You should've seen your face it was all like--" he fakeed a gasp while making a funny face.

"Haha." Mercedes rolled her eyes sarcastically. "What are you even doing up this early?"

"It's not early. My dad let me sleep in I guess. I'm about to go find him, you wanna come?"

The girl thought for a minute before nodding. "Yeah. So get out so I can get changed."

"Aye, aye, Captain!" Carl cheered heading out of the cell. "Don't take forever."

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪•••••

Carl and Mercedes walked beside each other heading down the gravel path to get to the pig pen where Rick was at working.

"You didn't wake me up." Carl said as the two of them stop by the pen.

"Cause I knew you were up all night reading comics with a flashlight." Rick shot back, walking over to the two.

The three looked over at the adult pig, Violet. Mercedes frowned, looking at the pig concerned. "What's up with Violet?" She wondered, glacing up at Rick.

Rick let out a sigh. "Mercedes, I told you not to name them. They're not piglets anymore. They're food."

Mercedes sighed looking back towards the pig. Carl looked up at Rick. "We just thought, you know, until... Okay." Carl nodded seeing the look he was receiving.

Rick looked towards the pig and shook his head. "I don't know what's going on with her. Could be sick, could be nothing." He clicked his tongue. "Feel better Violet."

Carl and Mercedes share a smile before looking up at Rick. The man was already smiling at them. He nodded his head at Carl. "Come on, let's get to it."

Carl nodded and looked at Mercedes. "See you later, Merce."

She smiled and started to walk backwards. "See ya." She waved at the two Grimes'  before finally turning to walk straight.

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪•••••

"Morning, Daryl." Mercedes greeted, walking up beside the man. The two of them are both heading over to the courtyard where food is being served.

The man glanced at her. "Hey." He sent a slight nod.

"You're going to the Big spot today, right?" The fifteen year old asked titling her head.

Daryl narrowed his eyes at her and hesitantly nodded. "Yes... And no."

Mercedes eyes widened and she shook her head. "No? I don't know what you're talking about." She scoffed, not meeting Daryl's eyes.

Daryl scoffed with a roll of his eyes. "you ain't going." He firmly told her.

The girl dramatically gasped. "Why not? I know how to kill walkers! Is my dad going? Maybe I should ask him."

"He ain't going and neither are you. I'll bring you back a barbie doll or somethin'" Daryl shrugged nodding slightly.

Mercedes looked at him and squinted her eyes. "A Barbie? No... If you come back with a barbie I'll throw your crossbow in a river." She threatened.

Daryl raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Now I'm so scared." He sarcastically raised his hands. "Look I'm shaking." He scoffed.

"Jerk." The teenager mumbled walking away, leaving Daryl to continue over to get something to eat on his own.

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪•••••

Mercedes found her dad by one of the trucks as he loads up some empty duffle bags. "Going somewhere?" She asked walking over and leaning on the opened tailgate.

Jesse nodded tossing the last duffle bag into the bed. "Yep. I'm heading to a neighborhood that's about two hours from here. I think there might be something worth taking."

Mercedes nodded pushing off of the truck and shutting the gate. "Can I come?" She asked, smiling up at her dad.

Jesse looked at her hesitantly. "I--" he sighed rubbing his face. "You know what? Yeah, you can come. Go get your gun and tell Hershel you're coming with me."

"Thank you!" Mercedes smiled, excitingly before running into the sidedoor of the prison.

••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪••••♪•••••

"Has Ross been acting weird?" Jesse asked as he and Mercedes drove down the road. He had one hand on the wheel and the other out the window.

Mercedes shrugged. "Weird how?" She asked looking over at him.

"I dunno... More smiley?" Jesse shook his head. "He used to be less smiley. Have you noticed that?"

Mercedes laughed turning in her seat to face the man. "He's in love." She said the word love in a funny accent.

A shocked look appeared on Jesse's face and he glanced away from the road for a moment. "Love? With who?"

"Beth, duh." Mercedes giggled rolling her eyes. "He has been since... I dunno forever."

Jesse's eyebrows furrowed and he nodded. "I thought she and that boy Zack was together."

Mercedes sighed laying her head on the back of the seat. "yeah. She is. The heart wants what it wants."

"What do you know about love? What are you now, six?" Jesse asked shaking his head.

The teenager scoffed playfully. "I passed six a while ago."

Jesse chuckled bringing the arm that was out the window back inside of the car. "Okay, miss 'I passes six a while ago.' We're almost there."

Mercedes smiled happily. "Awesome. My butt is starting to hurt from sitting so long."

𝖤𝗇𝖽 𝗈𝖿 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋
𝟦.𝟥.𝟤𝟥
𝟫:𝟣𝟦𝗉𝗆
𝟣𝟢𝟩𝟢𝗐𝗈𝗋𝖽𝗌

ᵉᵈⁱᵗᵉᵈ