chapter twenty-three: Just survive somehow

Things in Alexandria changed after Pete killed Reg at Rick's trial and Deanna had Rick kill Pete. A lot had happened within the three weeks. Morgan a man that Mercedes had met when she went with Michonne, Rick and Carl to King County when they still lived in the prison, was now part of Alexandria. When she saw him again she apologized once again for shooting him that day. Morgan just waved her off.

Mercedes sighed as she walked around Alexandria with Juno. She did her best to think of the good things that are happening but it's kinda hard to do when there isn't any.

Suddenly a scream filled the air and Mercedes stomach dropped. In the distance she could see a man cutting into a woman's chest. The Warren girl crouched down by her dog. "Go hide." She whispered. It was a command that she and Rosita had taught her weeks ago.

Juno obeyed the command and took off running. Mercedes pulled out her slingshot and ran towards the space in-between the houses. Her plan was to make it to Carl's house.

She ran and as she turned a corner she came face to face with a man who had a 'W' carved into his forehead. Her eyes widened and she reached for her knife with her other hand.

The man laughed, "you want to dance, little girl?" He snarled.

Any confidence Mercedes had just flew out the window. "Dance?" She muttered, her eyes land on Morgan who was slowly walking up behind the man.

She smirked. "I don't dance but... I'm sure he does." She pointed at Morgan.

"Go!" Morgan yelled at her before hitting the man with his stick.

Mercedes started running, she didn't stop until she got to Carl's back yard. That's where she saw Enid sneaking out the back door. "Enid?" She asked, titling her head.

Enid sighed as Mercedes walked closer. "Where are you going?" The Warren girl questioned. "There's killers on the loose."

Enid nodded. "I'm leaving, Mercedes. I'm not gonna be coming back this time."

Mercedes' eyes widened and she rubbed her arm. "is there anything I can say to change your mind?" She asked a little hopeful.

Enid shook her head. "Do whatever you have to do to survive, Mercedes. You really deserve to live... Do whatever it takes, just survive somehow." She said softly, before running off.

Mercedes bit her lip before entering the house. She was met with Carl and Michelle running over.

"We thought you were Enid." Michelle told her.

Mercedes frowned. "Enid's gone. She left... She's not gonna be coming back." She told the two.

"She left?" Carl asked shocked. "Right now? Why would she do that?"

Mercedes shrugged. "I don't know. I couldn't stop her."

7.10.23
10:12pm
End of chapter