chapter twenty-nine: bad idea

When Mercedes, Chloe and Kane made it back to Alexandria, Michelle, Daryl and Rosita were already back, but with no Denise. Michelle was in tears as she explained what happened with the saviours. After all that has happened Mercedes figured it would be best to listen to what Auggie had said about not leaving home for a while.

The next morning the sun was up high. Mercedes was with Ross by the front gate. The two were waiting on Chloe, who had told them to meet her for some reason.

Suddenly they two heard Daryl's motorcycle and they saw him heading for the gate. "Where the hell is he going?" Mercedes wondered, crossing her arms.

Ross shook his head. "Somewhere he probably shouldn't." He replied as Daryl left Alexandria, soon followed by a van.

Michelle and Chloe ran over to the two. "Who was in the van?" Mercedes asked her two friends.

"Michonne, Rosita and Glenn." Chloe answered as she caught her breath.

Michelle sighed and nervously fiddled with her jacket's zipper. "I think it's a bad idea. Them leaving." She said, licking her lips.

Ross looked down at her. "why?" He asked, tilting his head. "They had to go after Daryl."

The redhead shook her head. "I just had a weird feeling. Have since yesterday." She admitted.

Ross frowned and patted her shoulder. "It's most likely nothing. Maybe you're hungry?"

All three girls looked at him weirdly. "Yeah, she's hungry. Bye Ross." Mercedes sarcastically said, grabbing Chloe and Michelle's arms before walking away from the boy.

————————————

Later that day Mercedes sat at Maggie's kitchen table watching as Enid and Chloe gave Maggie a hair cut. Once they were done Mercedes slid a mirror over to the woman. All three teenagers watched as the woman took in her new appearance.

"It looks good." Mercedes smiled at the woman.

"Why'd you want us to do it?" Chloe asked, tilting her head.

"I have to keep going. And I don't want anything getting in my way." Maggie answered before her breathing became shaky.

"Di-- did we cut it too short? I only used to cut my dad's." Enid muttered, concerned that Maggie was upset with the length.

Maggie shook her head. "No, it's not that." She said before her hands flew to her stomach as she groaned out in pain.

"Whoa!" Mercedes gasped, jumping up from her chair as Maggie fell to the floor. The Warren girl was at her side within seconds.

"Go get someone!" She yelled looking at Enid and Chloe as she grabbed Maggie's hand.

Chloe and Enid quickly ran out the side door to go find help. Mercedes looked down at Maggie. "It's okay, Mags. You're gonna be okay." She softly told the woman.

Soon Chloe and Enid ran back in followed by Rick, Carl and Jesse. "We need to get her to hilltop." Rick said as he and Jesse lifted Maggie up.

The three teens followed the men out of the house worried about Maggie.

———————————

Rick, Jesse, Abraham, Aaron, Sasha, Eugene, Carl, Mercedes, Kane, Chloe and Michelle all left Alexandria in an RV to get Maggie to hilltop.

Mercedes walked over and sat by Carl. The boy looked over at her and noticed how fidgety she was being. "You okay?" He asked, scooting closer to her.

Mercedes nodded. "Just worried about Maggie is all." She shrugged.

Carl gave her a concerned look. "That all?" he asked.

"Yep." The Warren girl then sighed and decided to change the subject. "So, I wonder why Enid decided not to come."

Carl's eyes widened and he cleared his throat. "I, uh... I locked her in the armory closet." He hesitantly admitted.

Mercedes looked at him shocked. "You locked her in a closet?" She slowly asked.

Carl leaned his head against the window and sighed. "Yes... It wasn't on purpose."

Mercedes' eyes narrowed. "So you accidentally locked her in a closet?" She scoffed.

Carl bit his lip and huffed. "Okay... Maybe it wasn't an accident. She's gonna be pissed, right?"

Mercedes laughed a little and nodded. "Yeah. Definitely going to be pissed."

"Enemy close." Abraham suddenly announced from the driver's seat.

Mercedes and Carl shared a look before standing up and heading to the front. The RV stopped and up ahead were three cars in the middle of the road, and a group of men stood with guns.

"We doing this?" Abraham asked and Rick shook his head.

He walked towards the door. "No." He said, walking out. The others soon followed.

Before Mercedes could leave the RV someone grabbed her arm. She looked back and her eyes met with Michelle's. The Ford girl shook her head. "I don't want to go out there Cedes." She quietly said.

Mercedes slowly nodded. "Okay. I'll stay with you here." She told the girl, sensing that she was scared. No doubt it had something to do with what happened the last time she had a run in with the saviours.

9.22.23
2:27pm
825words