Chapter eight: 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖣𝗈𝗀

It's been a little over a week since the prison fell. Mercedes wasn't lucky enough to find another place to sleep again so she hardly got any sleep at all in the last four days... Maybe about six hours in at most. She's also been on edge for the past few days. She's got a feeling that something's watching her but every time she looks around she saw nothing. Surely she's not going crazy already.

Mercedes stomach rumbled as she walked along a county road. She sighed, it's been a while since she was able to find something to eat. Two days ago she found a can of corn but she ate that already.

She frowned and continued walking down the road. There was nothing she could do right now to fix her hunger besides continuing on and praying to god that she finds a house or car maybe even a store.

The sun glared down at her causing sweat to coat her face and neck. The pavement road taking in the heat from the sun wasn't exactly helping either.

Despite wanting to just crawl in a hole and die, Mercedes carried on. Readjusting the gun strap across her chest in the process.

A walker stumbled out of the woods just ahead of her. Mercedes released a tired sigh. She thought about killing it but since it seems to have a hurt leg it wouldn't be moving to fast. She'd probably be able to lose it by getting off the road and just going through the woods on the other side.

She decided to just go ahead and kill it. She thought back on that time she and Carl didn't kill that walker that was stuck in the mud by the creek. It got unstuck and ended up killing Dale. She wasn't about to make the same mistake again.

She pulled out her knife and headed over to the walker. It snarled reaching out for her. Mercedes grabbed the walker's arm and pulled the undead monster closer to her before stabbing it in the eye.

The walker went limp and fell to it's knees. Mercedes pulled her knife back and let go of the walkers arm allowing the dead walker to fall over.

She wiped her knife of on her jeans before she begun to walk again.

A few hours had passed and the sun only had about thirty minutes left before it would begin to set

A few hours had passed and the sun only had about thirty minutes left before it would begin to set. Dread started to take over Mercedes with each minute that passed. The thought of having to sleep in the woods again made her stomach churn.

She shook her head at the thought. She continued walking, trying to think of something else.

Something in the distance caught her eyes. She squinted them trying to get a better look. As she got closer she realized that it was the escape bus from the prison.

She gasped and started to run. She started to feel hopeful, for the first time since the Prison fell, she felt hopeful.

The hope slowly faded as she got closer. Her heart dropped seeing the back door of the bus open and along the road behind it was a line of dead walkers. "Oh, no." She quietly said getting closer.