chapter seven: The long road ahead

The world is a scary place. It always had been, even before the dead started to take over. Mercedes never really paid attention to the bad before the world ended. It was easy to prended everything was happy but not anymore. Everything was shitty and now that the prison was gone Mercedes was alone for the first time in the scary world.

Her dirty red converses hit the leaf covered ground with each step she takes. Dried tears ran down her cheeks and the gun Daryl gave her before the fences came down is strapped over her shoulder. It dug into her back with every step.

So far she's been lucky to have only ran into one walker. With all the noise that came from the prison earlier that day all the other walkers around probably already made their way to check out the noise.

Up ahead sat an abandoned ambulance. Mercedes started to sprint towards it. As soon as she reached it she stopped. Nearly out of breath the girl leaned onto the drivers side door with her back against it.

Her chest raised and fell at a fast pace. "Oh, man." She breathed out. Her lungs burned from all the previous running.

Suddenly a walker snarled and hit the window behind her head. Mercedes yelped pushing away from the ambulance. "Holy shit." She mumbled placing her hand on her fast beating heart.

She stared at the walker. It had probably been trapped in the ambulance since the beginning seeing as it was dressed as a paramedic and it looks like the shirt it's got on has the same hospital name on it as the ambulance.

Mercedes sighed and she was about to just walk away but she realized something. She slowly turned and looked at the ambulance. She bit her lip and nodded to herself before running to the back of the ambulance.

She hit the back door a few times with her arm and waited to hear if there were any walkers in the back. She didn't hear anything so she pulled out her knife just in case, before reaching up to the handle.

Taking a deep breath Mercedes than pulled the door open. A relieved sigh left her nose. "No walkers." She whispered before climbing into the back.

She placed her knife back in the clip on her belt. She grabbed up a redbag full of medical stuff she had no clue what half of it did. She dumped what was in it out before turning to the cabinets on the wall.

She begun to place bandages into the bag along with some morphine and other meds. She grabbed all the stuff she thought would be useful in the future if need be.

She climbed out of the back and looked up at the sky. She frowned seeing the sunset. It was gonna get dark soon. Her stomach did the bad kind of backflips at the thought of having to sleep in the woods by herself where a walker could attack her at any moment.

She looked back inside the ambulance at the stretcher that sat in the middle of the rig. "Yeah." She mumbled before climbing back inside and she shut the door behind her.

She sat her new bag down on the bench on the wall then she lifted the strap on her gun over her head and leaned it on the wall.

It got darker making it harder for Mercedes to see inside the rig. She sat down on the stretcher with a long sigh.

She got situated and laid down on her side with knees bent a little. She closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep.

Just when she's about to be fast asleep the picture of Hershel's head being cut off became very clear. Her eyes shot open and her heart raced.

The girl started blinking rapidly trying to get the image out of her head. She could hear the screams from Maggie and Beth for their father, the gunfire too. She had no clue if any of the others were still alive or not.

That's what scared her the most. The not knowing. And when she thought of her dad it brought tears to her eyes. There was no way he made it. Him and Michonne were out in the line of the fire. Mercedes wouldn't be surprised if one of the Governor's people offed them the first chance they got.

She didn't even know she was crying until the fresh cut on her cheek stung when her tears slid over it. She bit down on the inside of her cheeks and tried not to cry anymore but soon quiet sobs filled the air.

 She bit down on the inside of her cheeks and tried not to cry anymore but soon quiet sobs filled the air

A small groan left Mercedes throat as she slowly opened her eyes. The sun shining through the back window caused her to squint her eyes. Once they adjusted to the sunlight she slowly sits up.

She glanced around and a sigh left her nose when she realized that everything that happened yesterday really happened.

She slowly stood up and grabbed her gun. She slungs it over her shoulder before grabbing her bag and she slungs it over her other shoulder.

Once she's sure she's got everything she opened the door and climbed out.

A snarl came from the woods and Mercedes whipped her head over. Seconds later a walker stumbled out of the treeline.

It tripped in the ditch and Mercedes sighed pulling her knife out. She walked over to the ditch.

The walker reached up trying to get her unable to get up. Mercedes shook her head and crouched down before sliding her blade into the side of the walker's mushy head.

"Yuck." She mumbled in disgust as she pulled the knife back out. It's covered in goo and blood.

She reached over and wiped the blade on the dead walker's dirty shirt. Once it was as clean as she could get it she slipped it back into her belt. She stood back up straight and headed to the middle of the road.

She looked ahead of her. She has a long road ahead of her. No destination in mind only the long dangerous road ahead of her.

𝖤𝗇𝖽 𝗈𝖿 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋
𝟧.𝟫.𝟤𝟥
𝟤:𝟧𝟧𝗉𝗆
𝟣𝟢𝟥𝟣𝗐𝗈𝗋𝖽𝗌