chapter twenty-one: It's their world

"Be safe." Mercedes said after hugging Noah and Glenn. She then walked over to Tara. The woman hugged her and when they pulled apart she noticed Mercedes staring at Ross as he climbed into the back of the van.

"I'll make sure he's okay." Tara said.

Mercedes sighed, shaking her head. "don't bother. He's a big boy." She shrugged.

Tara nodded. "Look, I don't know what's going on between the two of you... But I'm here if you need to talk."

Mercedes smiled at her. "Thanks Tara."

The woman smiled and held out her fist. Mercedes laughed a little before bumping her fist into Tara's. She then bid the group one last goodbye before walking away.

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

"Hey, Cedes!" Salem yelled from her front porch when she saw Mercedes walking down the sidewalk.

Mercedes smiled and walked over to the porch. "Salem, hey." She greeted. She then looked at the middle aged woman that was sitting on the porch swing. She tilted her head, for some reason the woman seemed familiar.

"You must be one of the kids that came with Rick Grimes' group. I'm Cathryn." The woman introduced herself with a kind smile.

Mercedes nodded. "yeah, Mercedes Warren."

When her name fell upon the woman's ears, her face dropped and she tensed up. She was quick to force a smile. "That's quite a unique name." She chuckled. "Would you like to come in for some lunch?"

Mercedes glanced at Salem and the girl nodded with a big smile. Mercedes looked at Cathryn and shurgged. "Lunch sounds good."

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Noah and Aiden both died while on the supply run with Tara, Eugene, Glenn, Nicolas and Ross. Tara was hurt pretty badly but she made it back to Alexandria and is now laid up in the infirmary. That all happened three days ago.

Mercedes is avoiding Ross at all costs. The boy was in an even shitter mood than he was.

Currently she sits in her room at her desk that faces a wide window. Her eyes scan across the pages of a comic book that she had borrowed from Kane the day before.

Something moving outside caught her attention. She narrowed her eyes, seeing Enid climb over the wall.

Mercedes stood up and ran out of her room. "Sweetheart?" Jesse yelled as she ran towards the front door.

"Going to see Enid." Mercedes yelled before running out.

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

"Shit." Mercedes mumbled, she had lost sight of Enid in the woods.

"Mercedes." Enid said and Mercedes glanced around trying to spot the girl. "I know you've been following me all day. I mean, you're not exactly quiet."

Mercedes sighed, she was to busy trying to keep up with the other girl to even think about how much noise she must've been making. "Where are you?" She called out.

Enid walked out from behind a tree with her arms crossed. "Why are you following me?"

Mercedes shrugged, the truth was she wasn't even sure why she decided to follow Enid. "Dunno... You seem like you might need a friend."

Enid cocked an eyebrow. "Do I now?" She asked. She then sighed. "Just go back."

Mercedes shook her head. "No... I don't think I will. I'm just gonna hang with you for a bit."

Enid stared at her. She then slowly smiled. "Then... Catch me." And with that she took off running.

"Hey!" Mercedes laughed before running after her.

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

The two teenagers run side by side with wide smiles on their faces and their hair blowing in the wind. Suddenly the fun was over and they were forced back into the shitty world they lived in.

Enid stretched her arm out in front of Mercedes and the both of them stop running. They see a walker. Enid takes out a kitchen timer and winds it up before throwing far from them to distract the walker.

She then grabbed Mercedes arm and they started to run again.

After a while they stopped by a fallen tree and sit down. "We're supposed to be out here. We're supposed to feel like this. I don't want to forget." Enid said.

Mercedes shook her head. "You won't... You can't. Not even if you tried." She said, pulling her knees up to her chest.

Enid shurgged looking away from the girl. Mercedes sighed. "Does Ron know you're out here?" She asked.

Enid shook her head. "No... He wouldn't understand." She mumbled.

The sound of multiple snarls filled the air. Mercedes stood up and pulled Enid up from the ground. She then pulled the girl over to a tree that had a hollowed out center. Both girls squeezed inside.

The Warren girl held her breath as a herd of walkers started creeping past. Enid leaned closer to her. "It's their world. We're just living in it." She whispered into her ear, sending chills down Mercedes spine.

7.10.33
8:56pm
804words
End of chapter