chapter sixteen: The storm

The first person Mercedes had ever lost during the whole shit show they live in was Amy Harrison. The young blonde woman had taught her so much during the six weeks they had known each other. Sadly she got bit one night that walkers came out of the woods and took over the quarry.

Over the past year and a half Mercedes has lost more people that had made a big impact on her life. Beth Greene and Tyreese Williams were both one of those people. Both died within seventeen days apart from each other.

The group was one big depressed circle. At least thats how Michelle put it. If they weren't sad they were mad and if they weren't mad they were sad. Tired too. Either emotionally or physically... Well, they were all physically tired due to the fact that they've been walking for days. Only taking a few minute brakes.

Mercedes walked at the back of the group. She'll glance at Ross every few minutes. She was worried about him. He won't talk only if it's to snap at some one and when they did have food he wouldn't eat. He just gave it to Rick and Carl to give to Judith.

Soon the group stopped over a bridge to kill the small herd that was following them for the past three hours. After the walkers were taken care of they continued on walking.

But eventually they took a brake. Carl walked over carrying Judith and sat down beside Mercedes. The girl immediately starts to give Judith attention getting her to giggle a little.

A few minutes later Mercedes pullef her knees up to her chest and let out a sigh. Carl looked at her concerned. "You okay?" He softly asked

Mercedes slowly nodded. "I will be." She responded, not sounding to sure of herself.

Suddenly noise came from the woods across the road. Juno started to growl and Glenn grabbed onto her collar not wanting the dog to run off.

Four dogs come out of the woods, hungry... Hungry for human flesh.

Mercedes gasped covering her mouth after Sasha shoots the dogs.

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Eating dog was one of the worst things Mercedes had ever had to do. She didn't want to, no matter how hungry she was. She wouldn't of if it wasn't for the other practically begging her too.

In the distance as the group walked Mercedes' eyes landed on something in the middle of the road. Upon getting a bit closer she could tell that they are water bottles. "Rick, dad." She said getting the two men's attention.

The two looked towards where she was looking. Once the group got to the water Rick picked up a note that was sitting on the bottles.

'FROM A FRIEND '

Rick sighed handing the paper over to Daryl. "We don't know who left it."

"If that's a trap, we're already happen to be in it. But, I, for one, would like to think it is indeed from a friend." Eugene said eyeing the water like a hungry dog. "Quality assurance."

"What are you doing, dude?" Tara asked cocking a brow.

Eugene goes to take a drink from one of the bottles but Abraham smacked it out of his hand.

"Don't be a dumbass, Eugene." Michelle told the man that was rocking a mullet.

Thunder rumbled and it soon started to rain. Mercedes happily laughed taking out her empty bottle and sitting it on the ground, allowing it to be filled with rain.

She noticed that Judith was getting soaked in Carl's arms. She smirked before quickly taking Carl's hat and she stepped closer to him so she can hold it over Judith's head. The Grimes boy glanced at her and smiled.

Soon the rain started getting harder and the thunder got louder. The group started to gather their things. "Let's get moving!" Rick yelled over the storm.

"There's a barn!" Daryl shouted.

"Where?"

<••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Daryl lead the group to the barn and they all settled in for the night. While most of the others were fast asleep Mercedes was wide awake listening to it storm. She loved watching it rain but storms scared the shit out of her, they always had. Even when she was younger. Tornados though were the worse. That fear of course was brought on by the one and only wizard of oz.

Suddenly the barn doors started to shake and Daryl ran over to try to hold them shut. The man alone struggled. Mercedes hopped up and ran over to help him. She held her back against the door as it jolted. Soon the others start waking up and run over to help keep the door shut. All of them knew that if the doors came open they were good as dead.

7.9.23
7:26pm
784words
End of chapter