chapter fourteen: later Gator

Mercedes sat on a pew with her head down and her forehead against the back of the pew that sat in front of the one she's in. Daryl, Carol and Jesse had left. Nobody had seen them or Bob in a while and things at the church was getting tense.

Sasha was currently yelling at Gabriel. But the Warren girl blocked it all out with an overflowing feeling of worry for her dad twisting at her stomach.

"There's something... There's someone outside lying in the grass." Glenn said, standing near the window.

Sasha quickly took off out the door. "Sasha!" Rick called out before he and a few others run out after her.

Moments later they all run back in carrying Bob. Mercedes' blood runs cold and her heart races seeing Bob's condition. The man no longer had two legs, only one.

The others sat him down on the ground. "I was in the graveyard. Someone knocked me out. I woke up outside this place. It looked like a school." Bob begun to explain.

"It was that guy, Gareth. And five other ones. They were eating my leg right in front of me. Like it was nothing. All proud like they had it all figured out."

"Did they have Daryl, Jesse and Carol?" Rick asked him.

Bob shook his head. "He said they drove off."
He then groaned out in pain.

"He's in pain. Do we have anything?" Sasha quickly asked the others.

"I think there are pill packets in the first aid kit." Rosita said as she started to stand up but Bob stopped her.

"Save 'em." He croaked, slowly pulling the collar of his shirt over to reveal a huge bite mark on his shoulder.

Mercedes heart dropped. It had been a very long time since she had lost someone from being bit. The group had been lucky in that department. But now, here they are about to lose another person because of the goddamn walkers.

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Mercedes, Eugene, Bob, Rosita, Gabriel, Carl, Tyreese, Michelle and Juniper were in Gabriel's office with Judith waiting for Rick and the others to get back from getting rid of the Gareth problem.

Mercedes sat on the floor by the couch that Bob was laid on. She used a wet rag and wiped the sweat off of Bob's forehead. "You don't have to do that, Hon." Bob croaked, looking up at her.

Mercedes forced a smile. "You'd do the same for me." she softly said.

"I'm glad it's me then. You're too young for this dying shit." Bob told her.

Suddenly there was a banging sound from the church's front door.

Mercedes shot up from her spot and pulled out her gun. She joined Carl at the door and they both aim their guns at it, ready to shoot if someone got through to them.

"Well, I guess you know we're here... And we know you're here." A familiar male voice boomed. "And we're armed. So there's really no point in hiding anymore."

Gareth paused. "We've been watching you. We know who's here." There was another pause. "There's Bob, unless you put him out of his misery already. And Eugene... Rosita... Michelle... Martin's friend, Tyreese... Mercedes... Carl and Judith."

Mercedes' finger inched closer to the trigger, hearing the footsteps getting closer.

"Rick and the rest walked out... With a lot of your guns. Listen we don't know where you are but this isn't a big place. So let's just stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be." He paused. "Look, you're behind one of these doors and we have more than enough fire power to take down both. Can't imagine that's what you want." The man barked followed by the sound of a gun cocking.

"How about the priest? Father, you help us wrap this up, we'll let you walk away from this. Just open the door and you can take the baby and the dog with you. What do you say?"

Suddenly Judith started to cry. Mercedes' eyes widened and she glanced over at Carl. The boy nodded and she quickly ran over to the baby and grabbed her up from the makeshift crib. "Shh." She whispered, rocking the girl. It was already too late, she knew that. There was no doubt that Gareth and his friends heard the cries.

Suddenly a whole lot of commotion came from outside the door. Mercedes let out a relieved breath knowing that it was Rick and the others there to save the day.

A few moments later the office door opened and the others walk in covered in blood. "Dad!" Michelle ran over to her father and hugs him, not caring about the blood.

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

The next day after saying final goodbyes to Bob the group had to say goodbye to Abraham's crew, Tara, Glenn and Maggie.

"I'm really gonna miss you." Michelle said, throwing her arms around Mercedes neck.

Mercedes wrapped her arms around the redheads waist. "I'll miss you too." She breathed out. "Hopefully this is only a couple of day thing."

She then pulled away from the girl. Michelle smiled widely. "Then in that case... Later Gator." She beamed.

Mercedes laughed. "After While crocodile."

Michelle then walked away and gets on the bus. As the vehicle started to roll away the redhead poked her head out one of the windows and dramatically blew a kiss towards the group.

<•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••>

Later that night Mercedes laid across one of the pews. She had one arm across her stomach and the other propt up under her head. She looked up at the ceiling looking up at the paintings. Soon Michonne and Gabriel walked outside.

Moments later Gabriel walked back into the church without Michonne. Only for a few minutes go by and Michonne walked in followed by Daryl, Jesse and a teenage boy with a slight limp.

Mercedes shot up and ran over to her dad. She tackled him into a hug. "Don't ever do that to me again." She scolded with her cheek pressed against his chest.

"You ain't gotta worry. I'm not leaving you again." Jesse said, rubbing her back.

7-8-23
5:34pm
1017words
End of chapter