The Boy Blunder

Categories: Angst/Fluff/Daddybats

***

The heavy rain pounded the stone cold ground. The Dynamic Duo were perched on top of a building, watching over their city. Robin yawned. It had been a pretty quiet night.

Sitting in silence was boring.

All of a sudden, there was a blood curdling scream. The boy smirked and cackled. Before Batman could stop him, he had vanished.

***

Robin punched the last masked man in the gut. He fell to the floor. It was a piece of cake. He finished everything before Batman had got there. He glanced at the body of the young woman on the floor. She was dead. He was too slow. Robin walked out of the alley. Where was Batman?

The little bird turned back around. No one was there. The woman, the thugs - they were gone! Robin turned back around, cautiously. He was met with a grin and a punch to the face. Robin staggered backwards. His vision blurred. The lady who he assumed were dead was standing behind the men smiling. They got him. The same man pinned him against the wall.

"Look boys! We caught a bird!" He cheered.

Robin tried to kick the man off him, but it was hopeless. "Who are you?"
"Nobody yet. Just some low life thugs. Soon though, soon we'll be at the top."
"Really?" Robin laughed, "You're forgetting one thing."

The men looked puzzled.
"I'm not alone." the Boy Wonder smiled.

On cue, the caped crusader appeared behind them. He took them out in an instant. The man's smug smirk vanished. He didn't have time to react. He released his death grip on the Boy Wonder and was dragged back by the Dark Knight. He threw a punch at his nose and broke it. He hand cuffed him and dialed Detective Jim Gordon.

Whilst Batman grunted down the phone, Robin sat down against the wall. He put his head in his arms. Why was he so weak? He couldn't even take a few pathetic thugs.
"Robin." Batman said. "We need to leave."

***

The rain ran down the teenager's face. He stood the the roof. Batman turned his attention to his ward.
"I messed up." Robin said, his voice was weak.

Batman placed a hand on his shoulder. "Everyone makes mistakes."
"I ran off on my own!" Robin shouted this time. "I'm such an idiot!"

"They tricked you." he added.

"Where were you?"

"I was helping someone who was actually in trouble. You ran right past them."

"Oh." Robin looked down.

"Dickie," Batman said softly.

Tears ran down his cheeks. "I'm finally the Boy Blunder."

The caped crusader pulled his ward into a hug. "This won't be your last blunder. There will be many more. You need to learn from it. Take it as a lesson."

The boy couldn't speak. His tears were overwhelming. He just nodded.

Batman pulled away. "Come on. Let's go home for tonight."

***

All that could be heard in the Wayne Manor was Dick Grayson's heavy breathing. Bruce wrapped his arm around his sleeping bird and closed his eyes too.