Drowning

Categories: Bromance (or Birdflash, whatever way you wanna take it)/Angst/Daddybats

***

The blue-eyed blonde had been humming as she skipped along the side of the bridge. Her mother had told her repeatedly to get down. But she wasn't really that bothered, and was more interested in the business call she was taking.

One wrong step.

Her breathing hitched. "M-mommy!"

Her scream stopped everyone dead in their tracks. They watched helplessly as she fell. Some even pointlessly reached out to grab her.

Without giving it a second thought. One of the two young heroes who happened to be on that bridge that day, stripped off his green hoody and shoes - and hopped over the side.

As he plunged under, he heard his name being called.

Dick was expecting the water to be cold, with it being winter and all. However, it still came to a shock as it nibbled and bit. It grabbed at his legs, and tried to pull him down. But Dick was strong and resilient. There was a child to save.

He swam down and looked around. In the dark void, a tuft of yellow caught his eye.

He swam towards her as fast as he could. Ignoring the urge to open is mouth and fill his lungs with water.

His arm hooked around her waist as she was slowly closing her eyes.

Dick pushed up. The sun was like a beacon that he aimed for. But he didn't feel like they were getting any closer. In fact it felt further.

Everything was on fire. His legs: arms and lungs, were all burning. It had been, what? A minute? It was like he'd been down there for hours.

One last push up, and he greedily gasped for air.

It wasn't over yet though. The girl had lost consciousness. And Dick didn't have the energy to fight the current.

His eyes rolled back, and he started to sink back down.

"Swim, you idiot! Swim!" Wally called.

He had raced down the steps and onto the walkway. The girl's mother was crying beside him.

He remembered what the weight was on his back, and a sudden rush of adrenaline jolted through him.

In the distance, he could hear sirens; which only got louder. It gave him that last nugget of motivation to get back.

Before he knew it he was on his back, coughing up half the river.

"Easy, easy," Wally brushed Dick's fringe back as he soothed him.

Dick tried to look over to see if the girl was okay, but Wally moved his head back.

"She's okay," he told him, "she's okay."

She was wrapped up in Wally's hoodie.

The next thing he tried was sitting up.

"Dick calm down," he pushed him gently, "don't move. Now all that water's out you need to relax and wait for the paramedics."

***

The paramedics had scolded him for being so reckless. If he had been in the water much longer he'd have got hypothermia. But they also praised his braveness.

Wally shoved a mug of hot chocolate in his hands and took a seat opposite him.

Dick asked to be left with Wally in the ambulance so he could have some time to get over the events. But truthfully he was just fed up with all the questions.

He was about to lean back and gulp down his drink. Unexpectedly, Wally moved forward and pulled his best friend into his arms.

"I was gonna jump in after you, but some guy stopped me," Wally nuzzled his head into his shoulder.

"He was right to," someone interrupted.

The ginger pulled back, and went a bright shade of red.

Dick didn't care, he recognised instantly, and snapped out of his daze.

Bruce smiled and stepped in. "How are you feeling?"

"Crappy," his voice was weak and strained.

He sighed as he sat next to his son. Dick was snugly wrapped in a blue blanket.

"I spoke to a paramedic... He wants to take your temperature and ask you a few questions. Then after he's finished we can go home."

Dick's face brightened up. "I don't need to go to hospital!?"

He was a little displeased about the 'few questions' thing, but didn't let it show.

Bruce shook his head, "Nope."

The good mood was short-lived.

Dick's smile faded. He gulped. "And the girl?"

"Because of her age and the circumstance, she was taken to hospital. From what I've heard she's as okay as you can be after falling off a bridge."

The boys exhaled in relief and looked at each other. They had planned to hang out after all the missions they'd been on.

"You did good, man." Wally smiled at him.