Request: Bullied Brother

Request from: koadsosksc

Category: Angst/Bromance

A/N: Similar to my other one:P

***

Across the hallway, James Beattie and his pals were eavesdropping on Richard Grayson. The bulky thug had developed a personal vendetta on Dick since he started school.

It was probably because he was adopted, and was the smallest kid in the school. It was like someone had put a target on his chest and told everyone to fire.

For a while it bothered him. He was just this 8 year-old who'd lost his parents. Pulled away from his circus - his life, and pushed into a new one.

He'd come home everyday, crying. Bruce would be in the Principal's office every other week.

Dick toughened up soon after he became Robin. The names he was called were just names. And the punches didn't come until he was 11. As sad is it was, he was used to them by that age.

"Actually Babs, Wally is meeting me after school today," Dick politely declined her offer to walk home together.

Upon hearing that he was meeting someone, Beattie approached them.

"Who're you meeting, freak? Your boyfriend?" he taunted, his friends laughing behind him.

Babara slammed her locker and turned to her best friend. "Let's go,"

They both started walking down the empty hallway, but the bully wasn't finished.

He followed them. "Aw, leaving so soon? Are you going to run into your boyfriend's arms and scream 'hold me'?"

Dick balled his fists and spun back around. He couldn't bite his tongue any longer. "Why, are you jealous?"

For some reason, that hit a nerve. Beattie's face went red with fury. He pushed him down.

Before Dick could pick himself up, Beattie grabbed him by his tie. He dragged him towards the lockers and pinned him against them.

"I ain't a fag, Grayson," Beattie shoved his face towards his, and gritted the words out.

"Let him go James!" Babara cried, feeling helpless.

But he didn't. He only held on tighter.

"Dick, don't say anything!" she went off to find someone, muttering about the lack of teachers around.

Before slowly releasing his grip, he spat on the ground. Dick grimaced in disgust.

As Beattie backed away, Dick had to resist every urge to disfigure his obnoxious face. Instead of letting his anger come through his fists, it came through his mouth.

Sorry Babs, he thought, regretting it before he'd even spoke.

Beattie and his friends were half way down the hallway when Dick spoke, "Now who's running away?"

***

Roy wasn't so sure about meeting Richard after school, but Wally insisted. He had lied and said it was an emergency, so Roy had rushed there.

"Doesn't his butler usually pick him up?" Roy shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Alfred is in England. Batdad asked me to pick Dick up, so I thought I'd make the most of it!" Wally was speeding ahead.

Gotham School came into view. Dick was leaning against the wall, with his hood up. He was desperately trying to hide the black eye and bust lip. He wasn't turbed about the idea of Wally asking questions.

"Have you joined a gang now?" Roy's voice tugged Dick out of his daze.
"Roy?" He kept his head down. "Why are you here?"

"I got him to come!" Wally hooked his arm across Roy's shoulders. He went to pinch his cheek but he pushed his hand away.

"Hey Circus Freak!" a boy shouted.

The words tickled Dick's spine, but he didn't let it show.

"I'll see you in a few weeks!" he taunted.

The man he was with looked over at them. Probably his dad. He pushed Beattie into their black car, shaking his head.

Wally spoke, his eyes not leaving the bully. "Was he talking to you?"
"Just ignore him." Dick began walking.

But they didn't. They stood still, not wanting to move until they got answers.

"Leave it!" he shouted, spinning around.

But they didn't. They didn't move. Dick stormed back and stood with his brothers. Upon seeing him close up, Roy noticed a fresh black eye.

The lump in Wally's throat was gone. "He gave you that?"

He already knew the answer. Dick's silence confirmed it.

"I don't need you to fight my battles," warned Dick. "It's just a black eye. I've had hundreds."

"This punk can't keep picking on you!" Roy protested. "He needs to be punished."

"Of course he's being punished! It happened in school! I'm not going to see him for another month now! It's sorted. It's fine." He adjusted his bag strap and started walking.

"Can't you get a restraining order or something?" Roy asked, running a little to keep up with his pace.

Dick shrugged. "Probably."

"Then get one!" Wally added.

Dick was starting regret inviting him. Roy wasn't helping either.

His lip was throbbing, and he was tired. He had piles of homework to do, and Bruce would probably want him on patrol tonight. Dick didn't have time to deal with this.

"Thank you," he said. "I appreciate that you want to help. But I don't need it."

Then his tone changed, and the older boys felt something that they only felt in the Dark Knight's presence.

"So. Back. Off." With that, Dick stormed off. On his own. Leaving behind his friends - his brothers.

***

He hated feeling like this weak kid who needed protecting. He regretted snapping at Roy and Wally, but he was so frustrated of feeling so small and useless.

When Dick got home, he went straight onto the computer. Not bothering to turn his bedroom light on. The curtains were drawn. The only thing illuminating the room was the computer screen.

Instead of taking his anger out with violence, he hacked into his school's system. It wasn't the first time he'd done it, so he got in easily.

He tapped away on the keyboard until a file of reports popped up.

James's record was straight B's thanks to Dick. Now they were about to be straight F's.