Revenge: 2

Dick waited until the orange street lamps lit up before setting his plan in motion.

He had been in hiding all day - carefully planning his strategy, and tracking down his parents murderer's movements.

Bruce probably had a warrant out for him. But they wouldn't find him. The night would be his cover. Being the little acrobat he was he could go anywhere unnoticed.

His only problem was that KF and Flash were probably patrolling the city for himself and Zucco. It was a race. And yes, they were faster. But he was smarter.

Before sneaking out the back door of the library, he looked both ways for any heroes that could be snooping around.
Seeing that it was safe, he exited into the dark wet alley.

"Bruce told us not to interfere." a friendly voice said from behind him.

A figure emerged from behind an overflowing bin.

"I thought it was strange that you didn't come here." Dick turned to his best friend.

Wally shrugged smugly. "First place I checked. Free internet access."

"Why didn't you tell him?" he was still sceptical.

"I know that you'll do what you need to do. Just remember who you are, Dickie."

Dick walked past him, nudging him with his shoulder. "Don't follow."

"You're bike is parked up around the corner." Wally grabbed his arm. "You're welcome."

***

After changing into his Robin costume, he mounted his bike, he'd checked for trackers but couldn't find any. Maybe Wally was on his side after all.

After adjusting his helmet, he set off. The lit up buildings of Central City whizzing past him.

He was heading to the outskirts of the city, the old warehouse. Dick was certain he was there. He needed to be fast too. Bruce was the world's greatest detective, and had more than likely found Zucco's hiding place.

It was a race to get there first. One had justice on their mind. The other had revenge.

***

Zucco weaved in and out of the old forgotten machinery. He was on the phone to someone, talking about getting out of the city.

Robin watched him, perched on one of the beams. Timing was everything. All it took was one wrong move. The few seconds he was ahead of Batman was everything.

Zucco growled and yelled to the speaker on the other end, and threw the phone on the floor.

On impact, the block phone broke into pieces.

"Ah-choo!"

Crap.

Zucco stopped in his tracks, and slowly turned his head up to the beam.

He shrugged at the dark, thinking it was his imagination, and carried on.

Robin sighed. Thankfully Zucco was an idiot.

He silently scolded himself for not blowing his nose, and leaped.

Thud.

Zucco was face down on the floor, yelling and struggling. But the nimble acrobat held his grip, pinning the much larger man down.

Robin jumped up, letting Zucco stumble to his feet.

He turned to face him, surprised with the ambush.

But Robin wasn't going to give him a chance, and threw the first punch. And another.

And he didn't stop until Zucco fell on his back.

Adrenaline helped his reflexes, managing to avoid getting hit himself. The Boy Wonder's knuckles were the only thing that took damage. He held his shaky, bloody hands to his nose and wiped it.

He was about about to take his mask off: reveal his identity.

"It's great isn't it," the murderer chuckled. "Taking a life."

"I'm nothing like you!"

"I wouldn't be so sure, kid." He spat, a tooth fired out from his lips. "Don't tell me this is what a hero does now, I haven't been locked up that long."

"This is personal," he was ready.

More than before. He was ready to tell him who he was. What he did to his parents.

But he couldn't. He couldn't bring his fingers to his mask. Because every time he tried, he thought about one of Bruce's many speeches. That being a hero was about saving people. And justice. And revenge isn't justice.

"Robin!" Batman yelled.

His head snapped up in confusion. There was his mentor standing in the door way, creating an overbearing shadow on the ground.

"The police will be here any minute," he stomped over to the pair. "Get up."

He did as he was told, and jumped off Zucco.

Batman grabbed the criminal's collar, and dragged him across the floor to the closest pillar.

Zucco was too beaten to fight the rope being put around him.

Next was Robin's turn.

Batman hooked his arm around his partner's waist.

Robin shook with shock. He had almost killed him. What was he thinking?

Batman grabbed his shoulders, squeezing him back into reality.

"Robin!" he spoke with no emotion. "We need to go."

Robin nodded, it had all happened so quickly that he wasn't taking in much.

"We'll sort this out at home." Batman said, noting the distant sirens getting louder.

Robin went numb. What had he become?

TBC...