Invasion Special: Goodbye, Brother

Category: Angst

A/N: Invasion spoilers.

Set just after Wally's death.

***

It wasn't raining like it does in all the movies. It was a sunny evening, with clouds dotted across the sky.

Dick Grayson squeezed Artemis's hand. They were the last ones to leave Wally's grave.

"Arty, can I have some time alone with Wally?" Dick let go.
"I'll wait for you in the car," she flashed a fake smile and left.

Dick crouched down and placed his hand on his best friend's headstone.

"I didn't expect to be standing here for another 60 years," he chuckled. "I thought I'd be wrinkled and grey, and on my way out myself ha-ha."

It felt a bit awkward talking to a headstone and an empty casket. He buried his face in his hands and inhaled deeply. This part especially would be painful to say. He gurgled the words out.

"I feel," he choked up, "I feel so numb, now that you're not here. Yeah, we grew apart as we got older. I became Nightwing, you gave up being KF. And our lives just got so hectic that we didn't have time to hang out. But Wally, you never stopped being my best friend. You were still the one I'd go to for advice. You were still the one I could count on, no matter what.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you. You weren't supposed to die, Wally. And I know, we're heroes and the risk comes with the job but I never thought it would be you.

"First it was my parents, then Jason, and now- now you."

Dick stood up to leave, but he stopped himself and looked back.

"Barry has this crazy idea that you're trapped in the speed force. And if you are out there, somewhere. Find a way back. Because, I'm waiting. I will never stop waiting."

He read the headstone one last time before getting up. Engraved on the granite was: Wallace Rudolph West. A Hero Never Dies.

The sun was beginning set, painting the sky pink. Dick adjusted his tie and wiped his eyes with his arm. Clearing his throat, he regained his posture, and headed back. He walked down the cobbled path, waving goodbye to his brother.

***