Flying Grayson

Categories: Fluff/Daddybats/Young Robin

A/N: Dick's about 9 here, and has just became Robin.

***

Bruce was surprised at the normality of the toy his ward had just picked. It was a plastic yellow helicopter.

"Are you sure that's what you want Dickie?" Bruce glanced at the set of juggling balls on the next shelf.
"Yep!" He reached for the toy, but couldn't reach it.

Bruce grabbed the boxed helicopter and handed it to him. The little blue eyed boy was about to get it out and start playing with it.

"We need to pay for this first Richard!" Bruce took his hand and walked to the checkouts.

***

Dick was struggling with his tie. He watched Bruce carefully as he did his.

He'd started school a few months ago, and still hadn't settled in. Or learnt how to do his tie. Bruce knelt down, smiling as he helped him.

"I'm never gonna get this," Dick huffed, "it's way too hard."

"I've seen you swing from rope to rope," Bruce checked his hair in the mirror. "Don't tell me this is too hard for a boy wonder such as yourself."

He followed Bruce out of the bathroom. At the bottom of the staircase, stood Alfred.

Dick groaned and solemnly walked down the stairs. He really didn't want to go to school.

"You'll learn eventually, Master Richard." said the butler, hearing the entire conversation.

On the table by the front door, was his yellow helicopter. His face and attitude lit up when he noticed it.

He bounced over and picked it up. "Can I take this to school Bruce?"
Bruce cleared his throat. "I don't think that's such a good idea, Dick."

"Please, please, please, Bruce!" He gave him the puppy-dog eyes.
They worked every time. "Fine. But don't blame me if it breaks."

It was the first time Dick had actually been happy to go to school. That was all Bruce wanted for him.

***

"What've you got there, Circus Freak?" it was that kid again, James Beattie.

Dick stopped running around, and lowered his helicopter.

"It's nothing," as he backed away, Beattie and his pals got closer.

His back hit the gate, and he clutched his toy tighter. James scanned the playground for teachers. There wasn't any in sight.

"Let me see it." he demanded.
"No, Bruce got me this." Dick attempted to get further away, but was restricted by the gate.
"Just let me see it, freak!" James tried to snatch it out of his hands.

But Dick pulled back, determined not to lose it. The boys lost their balance, and they both dropped the helicopter.
It broke into pieces. Dick crawled over and picked it up, trying to piece it back together.

"I swear I didn't mean to do that," Beattie's face dropped.
"No!" tears threatened to spill. "You just meant to steal it!"

"Boys!" the teacher shouted. She'd finally noticed the playground squabble.

As she got closer, she noticed Dick's puffed up face, and the broken toy on the ground.

She put her hands on her hips. "Who am I calling first?"

***

After being told about what happened at school, Bruce left work and went back to the store. He searched every aisle, but couldn't find the yellow helicopter. Dick looked so disappointed when he told him the news.

"What're we doing at your office?" Dick hoped he was going to pull out a surprise helicopter, and that it was all just a lie.

"I want to show you something," he took him up the stairs to the roof. Dick trodded behind him.

Bruce opened the door. On the roof, was a black helicopter. A man in a high-vis jacket was standing by.

"I'm sorry there wasn't any more helicopters," Bruce walked him over.
"This is way better anyway!" Dick tried to contain his excitement, he didn't even care that it wasn't yellow.

"Slow down, Richard!" Bruce called after him as the boy bounced ahead.
The man helped Dick on, with Bruce making his way over.

"Hurry up, or we'll leave without you!" Dick leant out the door and whispered to the man. "Can we do that?"

"No," the billionaire stepped on, "we can't."

The man backed away, smiling. Once strapped in and comfortable, the helicopter rose with it's jagged movements. The blades cut through the air.

"Woah," Dick gasped as they got higher and higher. He was mesmerised at the city beneath them.

"We're flying," he said, it was the first time he'd actually been in the air.

Yeah, he'd swung from bars and tall heights. But he'd never actually flown.

"I can find you a new helicopter?" Bruce suggested.
Dick didn't peel his eyes away from the window. "No thanks... how about a new utility belt?"

"What happened to your old one?" Bruce prodded.
Dick laughed nervously, "Well, it all started when Wally came over Saturday,"

"Richard!"

***

A/N: This book has been up for about a year now, I just want to thank all of you for reading:3