Hacked

Categories: Daddybats/Fluff

A/N: With some Alfred Pennyworth appreciation, too<3

***

There was a tickling feeling in the back of Dick's throat, but he refused to relieve it. His grumbling stomach had already drawn enough attention.

He tried to concentrate on the test in front of him, but he couldn't answer any of the questions.

He'd been busy.

With the mission: patrols and hanging out with Wally, he didn't have time to study.

There must be something I can do on this stupid test! I've been at the top of the class since I started! Dick thought, whilst flicking between the pages.

But it was on everything they'd studied over the past few months. And he'd been using class to catch some extra sleep.

There wasn't a single question he knew.

***

It was the kind of rain that you didn't notice until you saw the ripples in a puddle.

Dick Grayson watched it fall to the ground as he sat bored inside the principle's office.

Bruce had one rule. Keep. Your. Grades. Up.

That, and never leave your utility belt at home.

Dick was a genius and managed to balance school and being Robin. But they had slipped. All of those late night patrols and missions had taken a toll.

Not wanting Bruce to be disappointed and temporally ban him from being Robin, last night he hacked into the school's system, and changed his grades.

It should have been a piece of cake. But he was already sleep deprived and it made him sloppy.

The consequences would be much worse than what they would've been if he just left it alone.

Bruce sighed and reclined on his chair, trying to relax.

"Mr Wayne," the principal, Mr Stone, started. "As I informed you on the phone, your son hacked into our system last night."

Bruce glared at his usually-well-behaved-son. Dick could feel the awkwardness that circulated the room.

"This isn't something that's easy to do," he mumbled something under his breath about the computer technician being amazed. "However, due to his outstanding grades he achieved last semester and the fact that he has never caused a problem before this, his suspension will be shorter."

It wasn't that much better. It was 2 days instead of 3 and a week of detention. On top of that, he had Bruce to deal with.

***

Dick rushed into the manor, with Bruce and Alfred closely following behind him.

"What were you thinking?" Bruce asked.

He'd had enough of Bruce's glares. "Save the lecture. I just didn't want you to be disappointed."

"Richard, you've maintained your grades for this long. I'm not disappointed in you. I'm proud that you've managed to keep them up for so long."

He smiled and his face brightened up, thinking he was going to be let off.

"But," Bruce sighed. "You hacked into your school's system. I can't overlook that. 3 weeks. You're grounded for 3 weeks."

"That's longer than when I hacked into the Batcave!" Dick protested.
"I am standing by my decision," said Bruce, sternly.

"I'm going out," Dick put his coat back on.

"Richard!" Bruce stood in front of the door. "You're grounded!"

The young hero didn't care. Bruce let his son push him aside. Dick put his hand on the gold door knob. Hesitating, he looked at the dark wooden door, feeling his father's eyes on his back.

He turned, and looked at Bruce with his apologetic face. His lip quivered, and he opened his mouth to say sorry. But Bruce stopped him, and got down on one knee to reach his level.

"I know, Dickie. I know." smiled Bruce.

Dick tried to force one out too, as the tears streamed down his face. He used the bottom of his palms to wipe his face, and sniffed up.

"Does this mean I'm ungrounded?"

Bruce chuckled and patted Dick's shoulder. "Ha-ha, no. You're grounded, for a week. That means no phone, no hanging out, and no Robin. But that does mean we can make some hot chocolate."

"Okay," he smiled, coming to terms with his punishment. "Why did you say 'hanging out' like that?"

Bruce shrugged, trodding into the kitchen. Alfred had already boiled the kettle, and got a tub of hot chocolate out.

What does he think me and Wally do? he asked himself. A new code for Netflix and chill? ... Nah, he's too old to know what that means.

Dick pushed himself up on the counter. He frowned, seeing there were only 2 white mugs out. "Make that 3, Alfie."

Alfred smiled as got another out the cupboard. He was happy the argument was over. For now anyway.