Fanfiction

Categories: Fluff/Birdflash

***

Wally stared blankly at the ceiling, his ginger hair hanging off the edge of the sofa. His family were out of town for a few days, which had been great for the first few hours. That was until the food slowly started to dwindle and the boredom kicked in.

Thankfully, Dick was coming over, and was due to walk through the door any minute. Bruce gave him the night off so they could 'study'.

Wally had made sure to stock the cupboards full of sugary sweets and set up his Xbox to the main TV.

The doorbell rang, making the speedster bounce to his feet in delight. He dashed to the door, flinging it open.

"Thank god you're here I've been so bored these past couple hours waiting for you to get here my whole family is out and aren't back until late tonight." he spoke without letting a breath in.

Dick didn't really acknowledge anything he said. Instead, he waved at Alfred, gesturing that it was okay to leave.

He followed Wally into the house, who was still going on about how his family had deserted him.

Wally took a seat on the sofa, remote in his hand and ready to spend some time with his best friend.

Taking a seat next to him, Dick unlocked his phone. "So, Babs showed me something today... it's something called fanfiction."

Wally glanced at him, then brought his attention back to setting up his Xbox. "Yeah, I know what fanfic is, Dickie."

"Yeah but... she showed me one about us," he said quietly.

"A couple of the girls I go to school with write them about the team-"

"No, I mean they wrote about us being a couple!"

That sparked the speedster's attention. He knew people wrote stories about the team and the Justice League, but he never thought people would write about the two of them. They kept their personal lives out of the media.

Then he remembered a picture that circulated the internet a few months ago. It was of Wally hugging Dick after a huge hostage situation. Dick has lead the team on that mission, Kaldur was in Atlantis. Dick was a nervous wreck with so many lives in danger, but they'd managed to save everyone. That had to be where it all stemmed from.

He shuffled closer, putting his controller on the table.

Dick's screen lit up orange as he entered the site. There was nothing more daunting than stumbling upon a strange website full of stories about you and your best friend, written by teenage girls.

He scrolled through hundreds, cringing at the descriptions, and Wally making sure he avoided any with the word 'lemon'.

"They call it Birdflash," Robin locked his phone, not wanting to read anymore.

"Girls have a crazy imagination, where do they get it from?" Wally shook his head.

"It's not even just stories, people draw us together too!" he added.

Wally could tell it was making him uncomfortable. God knows what Barbra had showed him. He knew how explicit those things could be.

"They even write about me and Bruce..." Dick looked up, his eyes wide open.

Wally frowned in disgust, trying to hide the fact that he'd wrote his fair share of strange fics. "I don't think those writers ever wanted you to see that."

"How are you okay with this?" the boy shrieked, starting to get frustrated that Wally didn't care.

"It's not harming anyone, if it makes you uncomfortable don't read it!" he said as he got up and headed for the kitchen cupboard.

He opened a bag of fizzy sweets, and brought them through. Dick was still sulking, staring at his phone on the coffee table as if it had murdered everyone he loved.

Wally tossed one in his mouth. "Seriously, what is your problem? It's not like you to let something like this get to you."

"I don't like people speculating about my private life!"

"But that's all it is, speculation! They don't know anything."

"Maybe they know more than I do," Dick mumbled under his breath.

It was almost misheard. Wally threw a sweet in his mouth, putting the rest on the table. He bounced on the sofa, moving his face uncomfortably close to the Boy Wonder's.

Dick pushed his face away. "Wally, no, these stories prove that breaking it off was the right thing to do."

"Listen," Wally crossed his arms and rolled his eyes, not getting the response he wanted. "There are pairings between the most unthinkable people, it doesn't mean anything. People would ship a brick with someone if they could!"

The room went silent for a second whilst he thought it over.

"I'm sorry," he hung his head.

"For what?"

"Letting Bruce get in the way of how I feel about you,"

"I knew this wasn't about the fanfiction," Wally sighed, trying to lock eyes with him. "Bruce was right, when M'gann and Connor were dating, things got messy, I can see why he doesn't want it to happen to us."

Dick looked up at Wally, teary eyed. "We have to do what's right for the team, not us, don't we?"

He nodded, biting back what he really thought. He wanted to scream no, and that he was being ridiculous. He couldn't help but resent Bruce from stopping them being together, and Dick and being such a push over, not fighting for them. But he had to respect him, no matter what.

Being apart was tearing them to pieces. They were trying so desperately to get back to being 'normal' but every little thing reminded them of something they couldn't have.

"Dude," Wally changed the subject, as if nothing had happened. "I need to show you Call on the Dead, I've been waiting to try it out until you came here!"

Dick wiped his tears away, plastering on a smile. "Awesome, I've just gotta pee!"

Wally's eyes didn't leave the screen as Dick awkwardly shuffled past. He didn't question him when he returned 10 minutes later with bloodshot eyes, and had ignored the sniffling he heard coming from the bathroom.

This was killing them. Wally didn't know how much longer he could last.

***

A/N: okay so this chapter went in a completely different direction to what I thought it would, so I'm going to write another chapter about their forbidden love!