Broken Wing

Categories: Friendship/Fluff

***

Robin knew very well the extent of his injury. Thankfully, the team hadn't caught on that being slammed into the wall almost certainly broke his arm.

Miss Martian carefully watched the Boy Wonder the entire journey back. She could feel that he was in pain - but he persisted he was okay. His forehead was covered in sweat, his left arm swung loosely beside him. Maybe it's just sprained?

***

The teenager gasped in pain as he undressed. He stood in front of the mirror to take a look at his arm. As to be expected, all along it was bruised. Yep. Definitely broken.

"Rob?" Wally knocked on his door.
He managed to hide his pain pretty well. "Yes?"
"Me, Connor and Arty are gonna spar. You wanna join?"

Shit. If he said no they would realise something was wrong but there was no way he could use his arm.
"Um - sure. Just give me a minute."

He listened to his best friends footsteps get quieter. He frantically looked around his room for the first aid kit. He quickly wrapped his arm in a bandage, not that it would do much good, and went to meet the others.

***

Wally was sparring with Artemis. It was Robin's and Connor's turn next. After Artemis gracefully defeated the speedster, Robin braced himself. He had sparred with Connor before. Usually they were evenly matched but now... Robin didn't know if he had a chance.

At first, it was going okay. Connor could see that Robin's moves were sloppy but overall, the boy was keeping up. It was when Connor striked his arm when the ninja screamed in pain.

It was like everything was in slow motion after that. The boy fell to his knees as he grabbed his arm. Tears rolled down his pink cheeks. Connor stood there in shock whilst Wally and Artemis ran to the boy. Robin's cries filled the mountain.

"Connor snap out of it!" Artemis demanded.

Voices became clearer to him.

Wally was kneeling next to Robin. The speedster was surprisingly calm.
"Show me your arm Rob!" He told him.

Reluctantly, Robin pulled up his sleeve. He winced in pain as Wally unwrapped his bandage and inspected his injury.

He sighed. "I think it's broken."
Robin weakly laughed. "Thanks Nurse West."

Connor face palmed. "I broke his arm?"

There was a breif moment of silence as Wally and Artemis stared at the half Kryptonian.

Wally sympathised. "Batdad is gonna kill you."

Suddenly, Connor went pale. He did not want to see Batman after he found out he hurt his little bird.
Robin shook his head. "I-I did it during the mission."

Three heads turned to the youngest member.

"What?" Connor asked.
"I got slammed into a wall. I didn't want any of you to know."

Wally grabbed the little bird's shoulder and shook him. He couldn't understand why he would hide something like that. "Why?"

"Ow!" Robin cried.

Wally immediately released him. "Sorry." he mumbled.

Robin looked at the floor. "I didn't want you guys to worry."

Artemis sighed, "I guess I'll tell Batman."

That wasn't going to be fun.
Connor helped Robin up. The boys both lead him to the infirmary.

***

6 weeks later and the Robin's cast was finally taken off. The feeling of the warm summer air on his bare arm was heaven.

"Are you excited to go on a mission again?" M'gann asked.

"Hell yeah!" he smiled as he stood on the sand. "It's been too long. Batman hasn't even let me go on patrol!"

She laughed, "Don't do it again!"
Robin cackled, "I won't."

Wally shouted, "Hurry up guys!"

The rest of the team were already in the sea. The two ran out after them. Wally turned around to see where they were. But, Wally being Wally, as he turned, he slipped on a piece of seaweed and face planted the seabed. Robin stopped dead in his tracks. There was uncontrollable laughter coming from each of them. The speedster shot back up like nothing had happened. He stared directly at Robin. His iconic cackle was the loudest, so, he ran straight towards him and tackled him to the ground.

CRACK!

Robin yelled in pain.
Shit. Wally thought. Not again!