Chapter 34

It was night. Sanskar's eyes opened all of a sudden. In the dim light of the hospital room, only the beeping of monitor could be heard. He blinked a few times to clearly see his surroundings. And then he saw Swara doing something on a chart paper in the dim light.

"Swara!" He called her.

She turned immediately and ran towards him.

"What happened? Do you need something? Is anything paining?" She showered him with questions. Sanskar just looked at her calmly. The innocent eyes were red, dark circles beneath them, her long hair tightly packed in a bun. She was not the Swara whom he saw 1.5 years back. Responsibilities and lonliness had snatched the happy glow of her face.

"You did not sleep?" He asked.

"Just a little school project of Ashna!" Swara said showing him the chart paper, "I know I am not good in arts. You are much better than me. Get well soon and do these work of yours."

Sanskar smiled a little. Swara really managed everything in his absence. But now, he had to take over a few things in his hands and Swara's health was one of those.

"How much is left?" He asked.

"Done!" She replied showing him the project. It was an essay on My Superhero.

My superhero is my daddy. I used to wonder why my daddy has been asleep for so many days in hospital. I missed him a lot. I wanted to play with him and give him kisses and hugs. But everytime I asked mommy, she replied that he will wake up soon. I cried when I missed him. Mommy too cried but in her room, silently. One day, I told mommy that I will never talk to him. He sleeps day and night and do not care about us. Then mommy told me that a bad man has did magic on my dad. Dad was trying to save 30 children and 3-4 doctors including mommy. When I got to know about this, my anger vanished. Now I am proud of him and I will be like him when I grow up. Mom had told me that I can meet him very soon. Once I meet him, I will tell him that he is my superhero. I will kiss him and hug him for every day he was sleeping.

Sanskar read these lines and then looked at Swara.

"Swara!" He could only speak these words. Rest of all was heard by her automatically.

"Don't worry Sanskar! Yes it was hard for me to explain her but I did anyhow. She is so proud of you." Swara said smiling lightly, "And don't worry! I have clicked photographs of all the life events of her in these years. I will show you everything."

Sanskar felt a little relieved. At least he could see the photos. He then looked again at Swara and asked, "Are you proud of me?"

"Of course I am! I am the proud wife of a brave soldier. " Swara replied. But her body shivered a little thinking of that day. She immediately tightened the grip over his hands.

"Don't worry! I won't go anywhere leaving you." Sanskar said. This time, he too sensed her fear.

Swara smiled but couldn't control her tears. The fear of losing him, the pain of seeing him lying down with eyes closed was all coming out now.

"I love you Swara!" Sanskar said before drifting off again.

Time passes faster when it is of happiness. Maheshwari family did not realise how fast one month can pass. Their son, who was in coma for 1.5 years, has now started to lift his hands on his own. It was difficult for him first. The unbearable pain to unbearable numbness, he had been through all. Waking up screaming at night due to shooting pains in his legs, the innumerable tests, the emotional turmoils, everything was getting overwhelming for him.

"I can't take it anymore Swara!" Sanskar clenched her hand tightly and closed his eyes. Swara was massaging his neck with ice where central line was placed earlier. Due to these many days of the central line, vein were inflamed.