Chapter 38

Sanskar was walking aimlessly in the hospital. Dead bodies of children and patients were scattered here and there. He was scared.

"We have killed your wife!" A voice was ringing in his head.

And there in the corner, was lying Swara. Her eyes were closed. Her face covered with blood and dust.

He ran towards her. He saw her eyes opening.

"Sanskar! Save me!" She said. Her voice was feeble.

But suddenly, a man aimed a gun at her. And next moment, she was lying lifeless on the floor.

"Sanskar!'" Someone was calling his name as he woke up. For a moment, he could not differentiate between dream and reality.

"Sanskar!" It was swara who called his name.

"Swara!" He uttered her name and a relief spread in every inch of his body.

"What happened?" She asked, "You were calling my name in sleep!"

He looked at himself. Drenched in cold sweat, her heart was pounding against his chest wall.

"Nothing!" He said.

"Why are you sleeping here?" She asked.

It was a genuine question. He was sleeping with his body on the floor and his head near Swara's hands.

"I don't know!" He denied again, "How is your headache?"

"I am good!" Swara's lie was too bad. Her eyes were bloodshot and her body was warm.

"Sleep now!" Sanskar said.

"You too! Recovery is still incomplete."

"Hmm!" Sanskar nodded and came on bed. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep when he felt Swara's fingers entangling between his. She pressed his palm and said, "I know you saw a nightmare. I can understand what you have seen. Don't worry! I am not going to leave you ever!"

Sanskar opened his eyes all of a sudden. He looked at Swara who was staring at him with love.

"I have become a monster Swara! It's better that you leave me! I can prove to be a danger to you!" Sanskar's voice was choking.

"Shhhh! You need sleep!" Swara said and pressed his palm once again.

"I don't have any words to apologise. I can't believe that I am the same person who fired a bullet at the person who tried to slap you. You remember when you were kidnapped, I rescued you. Do you remember how angry I was! And now, I am treating you worse. You don't deserve all this Swara!"

He suddenly looked at Swara who had drifted off once again while he was talking. Sanskar caressed her hair and pulled her in his embrace. She was really tired.

Next morning, Swara was silent more than usual. She just forwarded things whenever Sanskar asked for something.

"You are angry na!" Sanskar said.

"If I would be angry at you for things you never meant to do by heart, then what will be the difference between me and others?" Swara said monotonously.

"You are hurt then!" Sanskar again tried to explain.

"Sanskar! I am neither hurt, nor angry! Don't worry!" Swara replied with a smile. But her smile did not illuminated her eyes like before.

She forwarded him his medicine and planted a kiss on his forehead.

"Swara! I am trying my best to give you the old version of myself." Sanskar again said.