Chapter 9

The morning classes fly by, as they usually do the first few weeks of school, and I find myself in the loud dining hall. We have all kinds of gourmet food here. There's a sushi bar, fire oven pizza, handmade pasta, endless roasted animals and vegetables, and an entire section just for baked goods.

Akio and Noah both head straight towards the pizza station and I slip away to the salad bar. Madame still has us all on a strict diet that I intend to abide by. I fill a plate with lettuce, iceberg has the least calories, before looking over the topping options. A couple slices of cucumber, some carrots, and a teaspoon of Italian dressing.

I stride right over to our typical table. Lina and Hannah are already settled into their daily gossip with greasy burgers in front of them. I plop down across from them and grab a bottled water from the center of the table.

"How was calc?" Hannah asks, swirling her french fry in ketchup.

"It was alright," I shrug, looking anywhere but at the seven hundred calorie meal in front of her.

"I heard the calc teacher is tough," Lina nods with her mouth full. "I'm just grateful my parents aren't making me take any higher math classes."

"My parents aren't making me," I roll my eyes. "I wanted to take that class and it really isn't that bad."

"I heard Mallory crying over the homework last night," Lina says, gesturing to her roommate who sits clear across the room.

"That's because Mallory has no business being in advanced calculus," Noah drops his tray down next to Lina making her jump.

"The girl is denser than the fucking train stations in Tokyo," Akio adds, sitting beside Noah.

"Good one babe," Noah grazes his knuckles against Akio's cheek. Akio blushes hard and turns his undivided attention to his food.

"I hate that you're a couple now," Ryan finally joins the table as well. "It was so much easier tolerating you both without the lovey dovey shit."

"Oh fuck off," Noah throws a napkin across the table.

"Once you finally get a girlfriend you'll get it," Lina says softly.

"I've had girlfriends," Ryan retorts. "And I still don't fucking get it."

"Key word being had," Hannah snarks. Ryan frowns before tossing a fry at her head.

"Come to think of it," Noah starts, tilting his head, "Elle, have you ever had a boyfriend?"

"Nope," I say simply, popping a cucumber slice in my mouth.

"Because of your dad?" Lina asks. Everyone knows how strict and overprotective he is; it's not surprising that I've never actually dated anyone.

"In a way," I shrug. As much as I'd hate to disappoint my father, that's not quite the reason why.

My father, compounded with my uncles and all of the soldiers, have set impossibly high standards. The kind that most boys are unable or unwilling to reach.

Look, I'm not some pure, innocent virgin but it'll take much more than what most of these boys have offered to get me to date them. Duke offered to take me to England first class. I have a private jet. Another bought me some sparkly earrings, I never wear less than 10 karats. The cheap store bought flowers? My Uncle Gio brings me a handpicked bouquet whenever I get back home. You want to defend me? I could kill you in minutes.

It's hard to impress me.

But that doesn't stop boys from trying. Sometimes I entertain it, mostly just for fun, but that usually leads to the same boy following me like a puppy for at least a week. You'd think I was casting spells with the way some of these boys obsess.