Chapter 41

Warning: torture, gore, death

I've decided enough is enough. Tonight I'm going to tell Ryan everything. And tonight, he's going to help me kill Will.

I've made a fool proof plan. I bought a hunting cabin a few miles away from the school. It's remote enough that no one will hear his screams. He can cry and beg and scream until his throat bleed but no one will hear him.

I gave Duke his final mission in the investigation. Get Will to that cabin. I gave him a few things to help, of course. A knife, some rope, and chloroform.

As I wait on the line for the salad station, my phone buzzes.

Duke: we're at the place

Me: good
Me: hang tight I'll be there soon

Duke: I'll always wait for you

Me: stop being creepy

I tuck my phone back into my pocket. I discard my dishes and make a beeline to my table. Other students quickly move out of my way, wide eyes and shaky legs. I can feel it in my chest; the trademark stoic rage of my family.

I come to a stop at the head of the table, "Ryan."

He stops his conversation with Akio to look at me. I glance at our friends' faces that fill the table. Hannah still won't even look at me and Lina's eyes a swollen from crying, I think that senior dumped her. Akio and Noah watch on curiously though.

"What's up?" Ryan asks, hesitantly.

"It's time to go to church," I state and his eyes go wide.

It's a code phrase, one that I've never had to use before. For those who haven't been paying attention, churches aren't known as safe havens for my family. In fact, it's the place we've lost the most people. So the phrase, me telling Ryan that we need to go to church, means one thing.

Someone needs to die.

"Church?" Akio scoffs.

"Since when are you religious?" Hannah snarks.

"No offense but you might burst into flames if you go into a house of god," Noah laughs.

I ignore them completely and maintain eye contact with Ryan. His eyes frantically search my face as he stands. Wordlessly, he tosses his dinner and follows me out of the building.

"What happened?" he asks the second we're alone.

"Where's your gun?" I ignore his question.

"I dont-" he starts but I cut him off.

"Where is your fucking gun?"

I know he has one, I'm not fucking stupid. Just like I know that he took the oath. He's holding back secrets, whether it be through orders or his own volition I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter. I always find out.

Ryan watches my reaction carefully, "in my room."

"Go get it," I order, gesturing to Buhler. I figured as much.

He looks me up and down with trepidation before jogging into the dorm. I wait on the pathway and run my fingers through my hair.

It's time for all of the training Rome has been giving me to pay off. To utilize my newfound knowledge of anatomy and torture. To bring him to the cusp of death, only to start all over again. And to kill him without a trace.

I take out my phone and open the thread I have with my brother.

Me: do me a favor?

Demon Spawn: what?