Chapter 46 - Ryan's POV

"Ryan, I'm fine," Charlie insists from the other side of the call. "It's only a week until you're back for Christmas."

"Exactly," I argue back. "It's stupid for me to go back for a week."

"You have to take your tests, you know that," she scolds.

I frown out the window of the car, "but still."

"Look, I know you just want to help but it's okay; I'm okay," she replies firmly.

"Okay," I sigh. There's really no use arguing with her. Besides, the car is already driving through the intricate iron gates onto campus.

"I'll see you in a week," Charlie states.

"Yeah," I reply. "See you in a week."

I hang up as the car comes to a stop outside Buhler. It's early, most students are still asleep, but a few trickle into the dining hall. Unlike New York, filled with grey slush and black ice, the winter scene before me is nearly perfect.

Nick comes around to hold open my door and I begrudgingly get out. I grab my duffel and start for the dorm but Nick grabs my arm and stops me.

"I don't think I have to tell you this," he says. "But be careful."

"I know," I jerk my arm from his hold.

"And don't forget your assignment," he says sternly.

I roll my eyes, "I know."

"Where's your gun?" he asks. I gesture to the bag in my hand vaguely.

"Good," he nods once. "Ignacio and I will be back next Friday to get you all."

"Safe travels," I mutter, already walking away.

I'm not quite sure what's waiting for me inside.

Since I left, my friends have been texting and calling non-stop. Lina was worried; bombarding me with inspirational quotes and asking if she could help at all. I appreciate the gesture but there was nothing she could do.

Hannah's been, well, Hannah. Going on and on about this boy and that. Bragging about pulling higher grades than usual. Planning the holiday party. She can be a bit much sometimes.

Akio and Noah reached out a bit too. They kept me updated on the more important things going on. Like how our science teacher went into labor so we have a sub. The secret door we've always used finally got discovered and has since been sealed off.

Even Enzo was texting me. All we spoke about was boxing though. He bulked up enough to move into the next division and has been getting his ass handed to him. One of the few things that brought a smile to my face was the pictures of the bruises adorning his.

Elle's the only one to have given me some space. She checked in a few times, asking about Charlie and all of that, but has for the most part kept her distance. I know she's going through her own shit at the moment so I can't really blame her. And I honestly appreciate not being bombarded with questions and forced positivity.

But all I want right now is one of her hugs.

I know it sounds like I'm harboring some deep, hidden feelings towards her. But that's simply not the case. The truth of the matter is simple; she's my best friend and I need her right now. Call us codependent but you can never call us a couple.

I make my way through the quiet halls to my floor. I don't bother going to my room. Instead, I go right to hers. I know she's awake by now, she's always been an early riser.

I knock on the door quietly, hoping not to wake Hannah. There's some shuffling inside until the door swings open. A smile involuntarily tugs at my lips as I look down at my best friend.