Chapter 47

Once my friends told me the full story, that Rome showed up to Montrose and demanded they not attend my show, I stopped going to the internship. Clearly he has some sort of underlying scheme going on. Trying to isolate me from my friends. Weaponizing my emotions and insecurities. I'll deal with him eventually but for now, I'm going to enjoy my holiday.

I never quite miss home until I'm actually back. Until I can sink into my silk sheets and goose feather pillows. Until I see the halls filled with soldiers and their guns. Until I have some of Nonna's cooking. Until I can spend time with my mom.

But today I'm taking the littles on an excursion. They always wait until I'm back before going Christmas shopping for our mom and dad. While they value my input I know the real reason is because I can force our guards to back off.

Plus, my credit cards have the highest limits.

The Americana; Long Island's favorite luxury shopping center. It has nearly every store you could think of tucked into the East end. It's never crowded, even during holiday season. An occasional trophy wife or personal shopper but not much more than that.

"I don't know how you convinced Dad but thanks, Elle," Gabby says as we approach the Ferragamo storefront.

"I like when you're home," Sofia adds. "We're never on house arrest when you're here."

I look over my sisters, "you do know that we do not have permission to be out, right?"

I didn't bother asking for permission; I knew he'd say no. Plus, I'm still not talking to him. But the soldiers don't know that. Especially when I weave together a web of lies; they always fly right into my trap. And we're not out here being reckless, with the exception of Nacho all of our guards are here today.

"What?" Gabby exclaims.

"We're going to get in trouble!" Sofia insists.

"I'll take the fall this time," Cat says flippantly. "Dad owes me."

My sisters bow their heads and enter the store. I guess talking about the fact that Cat got fucking shot is not something they do. Good for her though; she's learned leverage.

"Oh!" Sofia points to a rack of shoes. "Look at those!"

Sofia and Gabby hurry over the the women's shoe section leaving me and Cat in the entrance. I gesture towards the purses and she follows me.

"Dad's down three kids," she says, examining turquoise leather.

"What do you mean?" I ask, lifting a purse to look at it more closely.

"You're not talking to him, I'm not talking to him," Cat rattles off casually. "And now neither is Enzo."

"Wait, really?" I ask.

She nods and picks up another bag, "he's pissed on both our behalf's. It's like he's finally decided to play big brother."

I laugh, "he's gotten a bit more tolerable."

"I didn't get hurt too bad, you know," she continues. "But I know you gave him a heads up."

"Where'd you get shot anyway?" I curiously ask.

She looks both ways before pulling down the neckline of her sweater. Harsh stitches hold together a mostly healed bullet would on her shoulder. She quickly covers herself back up and resumes her task of looking at purses.

"Does it hurt?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes, "of course it fucking hurts."

"Sorry," I hold my hands in front of me. "Dumb question."