Chapter 49

After breakfast, I make my way to my dad's office. I have no idea what is waiting for me behind the large oak doors. I don't know how long I stand there, just staring at the shiny handle.

"Cosa fai?" Cat's voice makes me jump.
(What are you doing?)

"Dad asked me to come to his office," I reply honestly.

"I know," she states. "I meant why are you just standing there?"

"Dunno," I shrug. "Nervous, I guess."

"Just go in," Cat gestures to the door. "I mean, what's the worst that can happen?"

I take a steadying breath. She's right. So I slowly open the door and do just that. Dad is already seated behind his desk. He has a mountain of paperwork spread out and scrutinizes the pages carefully.

I understand why people who only interact with him in his office are afraid. His office, both here and at the compound, are nearly identical. A large wooden desk with two chairs in front of it. And my dad, sat in a plush leather chair in front of a wall of windows. It turns him into a shadow, at least from a distance.

"Come have a seat," he says without looking up.

I close the door behind me and sit across from him. He shuffles the papers he was just reading into a haphazard pile before giving me his full attention. He smiles warmly and I return the gesture.

"So," he sighs. "You're the heir."

"Thank you, again," I say hurriedly.

He waves his hand dismissively, "it was an easy choice."

"Was it?" I question. If it was so easy, why didn't he do this months ago.

Dad rakes his fingers through his hair. He's starting to go grey; that whole salt and pepper look. I'm not sure if it's because he's getting older or if he is truly that stressed out. He shakes his head before looking at me again.

"We never really talk about your parents," he says slowly, gauging my reaction. "Firstly, I'd like to apologize for that. But I want to tell you more about them."

"Really?" I sit up a bit in my seat. He's always kept this topic hidden from me; Rosa and Gio too. I know bits and pieces about them both but not much more.

But I don't quite see how they relate to me becoming heir.

"Before we start I need you to promise me something," he says.

"Anything," I retort quickly.

"If I cry, you can't tell Gio," he says with full seriousness.

"Deal," I agree quickly.

He takes a deep breath, "my parents were killed exactly like yours were."

"I know," I say softly.

"No," he shakes his head. "I mean exactly. On the same date, at the same church, for the same reason, by the same people."

My brows furrow, "what do you mean?"

"Your grandparents were killed at Vincenzo's christening," he states. "I was sixteen and I had just begun training to take over. The training process, it's supposed to take a few years. But I didn't get that. Instead, I got two orphaned brothers."

"Wasn't Zio Antonio a part of the life, though?" I ask. I can remember him training soldiers when I was little.

"He wasn't supposed to be," he explains. "Your grandmother, she wanted different things for him. He was supposed to go off to college and have a legitimate job. The only reason he became involved was because our parents were killed."