Chapter 31

I've turned Duke into a pseudo soldier. And as for myself, I'm basically a detective.

We've managed to keep all of this away from Ryan and the rest of my friends. A secret that Duke has agreed to keep. But I've been working hard to figure this all out and I think we're making progress.

Everytime I come up with a possible suspect, Duke runs surveillance. I taught him how to silence his steps and stick to the shadows. How to keep track of people without staring right at them. And he's been doing a damned good job.

While he does all the leg work, I re-run their backgrounds. Look into any vaguely shady shit and double check the security cameras in the academic buildings. Unfortunately, I've been unable to access the footage from the dorms though.

I've crossed off six potential suspects already; various boys caught taking pictures or following me around. But they were all just boys obsessed. As I frown at my laptop screen, the school roster pulled up, a chilling thought crosses my mind. Someone I hadn't considered for a second.

What about Will?

My gaze snaps to Duke. He's at a study table a few rows away with some of his friends. They're doing more talking than studying but occupy that spot of the library anyways.

I'm surrounded by my friends as well. Ryan sits directly in front of me, completely unaware of what I'm working on. Hannah and Lina sit on either side of him, both struggling with chemistry. Noah sits to my right but is practically on Akio's chair as they whisper to one another.

Discreetly, I close my laptop and stand. Ryan shoots me a questioning look but I gesture vaguely to the vending machines. He nods and goes back to studying for his Latin exam.

I make my way over to Duke's table. They're laughing and generally too loud for this setting. One of the boys throws a paper ball at another but instead of hitting his friend, it lands directly at my feet.

The table goes silent as I bend down and pick it up.

"Princess," Duke smirks, leaning back in his chair.

"I'm so sorry," one of his friends splutters. I toss the wadded up paper onto the table before pressing my hands flat against the wood. I watch as every set of eyes drops to my cleavage.

"Duke," I start, keeping my voice soft and breathy. "Come take a walk with me?"

The table breaks into a combination of teasing words and wolf whistles as Duke gets to his feet. I ignore his friends and move for the staircase. The third floor of the library is always empty, it's where they keep the resource books. Sometimes people head up there to hook up but otherwise there's little activity.

Duke follows me into a stack of shelves. I look around, double checking that there's no one but us, before facing him. He embeds his hands into the pockets of his pants and leans his shoulder against one of the bookshelves.

"People are going to talk, you know," he smirks. "If you keep sneaking off with me."

"Let them talk," I retort quickly.

His grin widens and he pushes off the shelf, "I like this new you."

"What new me?" I roll my eyes.

He steps closer, "the version of you that doesn't give a shit what people think. The version of you that isn't wrapped up in your reputation."

"I've never given a shit," I counter.

"Bullshit," he laughs. "But that's not what we're here to talk about, is it?"

I glance around the stacks again, "I have a new suspect."

"Who?" the playful tone in his voice disappears. He understands the severity of the situation. It's one of the few times I've seen him take anything seriously.